Loud noises (things that go bump in the morning)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIY experts.

My partner and I recently moved into our house. After a couple of mornings we were awoken by very loud banging and vibration, the noise seemed to come from one of the radiators but echoed through the entire houses pipes, very scary sounds the housr is haunted.

I turned the thermostat all the way to 0 and the noise stopped. The next morning it happened again on a different radiator. Again I turned it off and the noise stopped.

All was quiet from now on.

After much investigation (and lack of sleep) it transpires that if I leave either of these two radiators off or turned up to number 5 on the thermostat the problem doesn't appear. (but the room's either really cold or really hot!)

Are they broken? (The rest of the radiators with thermostats work fine). Or are they as a colleague suggested installed on "the wrong side of the radiator" ?

The problem only seems to occur after 60 - 90 minutes of the heating being on, i.e. when the stat thinks the room is warm enough and goes to close.

Thanks in advance,

Ellis

Sponsored Links
Search on the net for the model of trv that you have and check to see if it is bidirectional, if not, this could be your problem. You could then either swap the trv and lockshield or just fit new bidirectional trv's.

Thanks very much for the reply.

1 of the TRV's is made by Wickes the other one doesn't seem to have any kind of name on it, so kind of hard to find out if they are bi-directional. :confused:

Ellis

you should see arrows on the trv. 1 in each direction if the bi-directional

Sponsored Links
Hi I have a very simular problem which only occurred after I had a new Worcester 28i junior boiler fitted (also a faulty thermostat was replaced in the kitchen) before this my radiators were silent and now it's like there's a drum practice going on in three rooms at once, I've bleed the rads several times but it makes no difference at all.

Do you think I have the same problem?

How do I fix it?

Please help it's driving my household mad!! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back