Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help, I\\\'m installing a conservatory and I\\\'m going to install an underfloor heating system, a lighting circuit and five sockets (two being installed in the floor, I\\\'m hoping to run a new wire from the existing consummer unit to a new one within the conservatory.
What size wire do I need from the existing consumer unit to the new one? distance about 10 mts, what type of consumer unit do I need to buy in the conservatory?

Sponsored Links
A cable that is rated large enough to cope with the current demand of the equipment after allowing for diversity and allowing for all the installation factors. The cu that you need to buy is one that is adequately rated, suitable for the environment in which it is installed and has enough space in it to install the correct protective devices.

what power will the underfloor heating be?

will the cable be kept away from insulation.

as a starting point i'd say the following would be reaonsable provided the power rating of the underfloor heating is not excessive,

40A breaker in non-rcd side of existing CU

6mm or 10mm T&E (6mm only if the run is kept well away from insulation)

4 way CU with switch incomer.

6A mcb for lights
mcb as appropriate for underfloor heating
20A rcbo for sockets (wired as a 2.5mm radial).

Sponsored Links
pdcelec said:
A cable that is rated large enough to cope with the current demand of the equipment after allowing for diversity and allowing for all the installation factors. The cu that you need to buy is one that is adequately rated, suitable for the environment in which it is installed and has enough space in it to install the correct protective devices.

Thanks for your prompt reply, the cable for the underfloor heating is 1100w and I have two of these, I was going to run that off a sperate circuit, run plugs off another and lighting off another.
I am installing Marmox cementitious backing board and was wondering if I could run the wiring for the two floor sockets underneath this, it is 50mm thick and consists of polystyrene foam sandwiched between to cementious sheets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back