Vaillant Boiler - heating filling point valve broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drained the heating system to fit a new radiator. Came to fill the system back up and it looks like the bit i need to turn has broken off. I don't want to just turn anything as i'm sure it will ruin the thread. is there any other option, and if not, any idea which part i should turn. At the moment there is a screw which obviously help the bit i should turn then two threaded bits one a few mm larger diameter that the other. hope this makes some sort of sense!

Sponsored Links
hope this makes some sort of sense!
Not really. :rolleyes:

It might help if you could identify the boiler to start with. If you don't know the model, describe the control panel (colour, knobs, etc).

Sorry! it's a VCW GB 221 H. hope that makes sense, it is what it says on the manual. its about 15 yrs old and a combi boiler. it also says GC-No 47-04414

It sounds like the control lever on the filling loop valve has broken off. But it is not clear what type of valve this is. Can you describe the lever - black plastic? red metal? etc..

It may be that the metal bit remaining where the lever was attached will have some "flats" on it which will enable a spanner to grip this "spindle" and turn it.

Sponsored Links
valve.jpg

hopefully this link will show you a picture of the valve. it was already broken when i came to try to sort it, so no idea what it looked like. hope you can help. i've tried turning the thicker threaded bit but with no luck

The valve in your picture is the water inlet control for the hot water supply. You did not need to close it to drain the heating side of the system, and if you didn't close it, you have no need to open it now, so leave well alone.

To refill the system, you need to find the filling loop usually just below the boiler. If you search on this forum for filling loop, you will find some pictures to show you what you are looking for, and also instructions on how to proceed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back