plug or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought Tricity SIE233W:
http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/Cookers/Cooking/Free+Standing+Cookers/230213611/Product.aspx

Earlier there was discussion saying that anything under 3KW can be plugged into any 13A socket. This cooker's specification says:

Burner power: 2x 1.0, 1x 1.5, 1x 2.0kW

Does it mean that it can take up to 3.5kW depending on usage?

Currently there's a terminal outlet box on the wall. I'm wondering whether it's possible to ask the electrician to turn it into a socket and have the cooker plugged it, or have it the traditional way - wire it directly to the wall? Which way is better?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the 'outlet box' is the termination of the cooker supply circuit, You are best to connect to that.

cookergal said:

2 x 1.0 = 2.0
1 x 1.5 = 1.5
1 x 2.0 = 2.0

TOTAL = 5.5

ban-all-sheds said:
cookergal said:

2 x 1.0 = 2.0
1 x 1.5 = 1.5
1 x 2.0 = 2.0

TOTAL = 5.5

It has got 4 hobs, a grill, and an oven (single oven).

Which one corresponds to what?

Sorry I am totally clueless. It's the first cooker I've ever bought. Thanks v much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Qedelec said:
Assuming the 'outlet box' is the termination of the cooker supply circuit, You are best to connect to that.

I am thinking of turning that into a socket. I like being able to plug things in and take things off as I prefer. That's doable isn't it? Would it make it more likely to be a fire hazard?

TIA!

Why do you need to know?

The short answer is NO you cannot connect it via a plug and socket.

As the esteemed BAS has pointed out the current drain far exceeds 13A, which is the maximum fuse allowed in a BS1363 plug.

cookergal said:
ban-all-sheds said:
cookergal said:

2 x 1.0 = 2.0
1 x 1.5 = 1.5
1 x 2.0 = 2.0

TOTAL = 5.5

It has got 4 hobs, a grill, and an oven (single oven).

Those 4 "burners" are the hob. So to that 5.5kW (23 - 24A) you need to add the grill and/or the oven, depending on which is the greater (Normally you can't have both on simultaneously). So it's probably going to be 8 - 9kW, 33 - 39A.

So you cannot, under any circumstances, put a plug on it.

ban-all-sheds said:
So you cannot, under any circumstances, put a plug on it.

The cable might even be too fat to put a plug on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back