Primatic system clean out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old central heating system with a primatic DHW cylinder. The radiators have cold spots due to sludge build up and the boiler makes lots of kettling noise.
I wanted to clear out the system with sludge remover then de-scale the boiler with some form of de-scaler and possibly put some inhibitor in the system.

Can I do this with a primatic cylinder? If not, what other options do I have? I do not want to replace the cylinder if at all possible.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
HI very difficult with a primatic, only way is to drain down and disconect pipework from primatic cylinder . then system could then be powerflushed , then thoroughly flushed with clean water but deffinately no inhibitor could be added . then the primatic cylinder could be re connected .

I would do what I did, bite the bullet and fit a header tank. Our primatic repeatedly lost the air lock and mixed the water leading to bad corrosion of the heating system.

In the old old days 30 years back we used to put fernox in via a radiator, this was ok until fernox started adding a foaming agent, this would pass into the domestic hot water and make peoples white sheets pink when washed in the washing machine, I often wonder if Sentinel 100 could be used as it doesn't seem to be foamy, anyone else got an opinion on this, if the cylinder was disconnected and the system flushed through with plain water I wonder if sentinel could be added afterwards ?

Sponsored Links
sentinel states on its 1 liter x100. do not use in primatic systems.
sounds like that system is past its best and power flushing could be a waste of time and money.
cheap option,change all rads and cylinder.
expensive option,fit indirect cylinder,tanks,new rads,upgrade all controls.

go on be a devil and treat your self to a 10 feed and expansion tank and a £100 indirect cylinder

City plumbing do part l compliant 36 x 18 cylinders for £100 plus vat before you all have a go at me ;)

Yes, but these DIY people only talk about VAT inclusive prices!

There is somewhere a Trading Standards requirement that retail prices ( That is to the public! ) have to be quoted including VAT.

To replace a ball valve £44 plus VAT should be expressed as £52 including VAT.

Tony

Er Ok

thats 117.50 for the cylinder
and 11.75 for the feed and expansion tank

We have pts plumb centre city plumbing graham in this town. You have to know what type of product is cheapest where. When I had to do a quote for a combi cylinder pts price was something like 250 city was something like half that. They seem to have a better line on cylinders.

otoh pts have a better feed of Buderus boilers City plumbing made me order my own and hold them in their stock but charged me that month, pts can get them next day and hold one of each in stock just for me.

plumb centre have pretty well priced themselves out of the market. Graham have the cheapest pumps but their generic boilers I wouldn't touch with a barge poll (not wanting to slate the oem who manufactures them so I won't say who it is but these days they aren't my cup of tea, because they don't think of the repair man in designing the construction, they think more in terms of the kitchen wall unit)

When I was piping a whole load of 28mm one Saturday Graham was the only merchant open and they charged me 3 X as much as pts or city for fittings. That hurt my profits that day, I'd quated on what I usually pay.

I try top order enough from bes screwfix and the like but always run out before expected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back