New Triton electric heater overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just installed a new Triton Cara electric shower. It was just a straight swap for the old electric shower. I installed and commisioned as per manufacturers instructions and the shower works correctly up untill the temperature knob goes past number 5, 1-5 work fine but when I turn to 6 it overheats, I hear a click and then it starts to go cold telling me the thermal cut out device is working but I dont know whats causing it to overheat in the first place. The flow is fine , stopcock and ballofix fully open, no blockages, electrical connections all seem fine. There was no problems with the previous shower (Triton Topaz) which was also installed by me using the same pipe and electrics . I just want to know if theres someway I dont know of to fix this before phoning Triton. Cheers

Sponsored Links
seco services";p="2536202 said:
Long time no see. :rolleyes:

Have you checked inlet filter clean ?[/quote hello mate, ano it's been a while. Inlet filter seems fine

Make sure it is because when first turning the stopcock or iso valves back on can shift scale then restrict the filter, That's why they always say flush the pipework.

At what number does it start getting warm/hot ?
Has it got a powerful flow at 1 and reduced flow higher the numbers ?

Sponsored Links
seco services";p="2536215 said:
Make sure it is because when first turning the stopcock or iso valves back on can shift scale then restrict the filter, That's why they always say flush the pipework.

Its useable and working up till number 5, when it goes to 6 the temp just keeps rising untill the overheat sensor clicks then it cools down again. Yes its a better flow the lower the number

seco services";p="2536215 said:

I probably didnt give the inlet thourough check, do I need to unscrew and remove the whole solenoid unit to get into it ?

If you say it's useable up till 5 that tells me then you can have a warm/hot shower at about 4.
Shouldn't really be getting warm/hot at 4.

Flow problem, Double check filter and stopcock etc.

Just remove the mains pipe connection from the solenoid, Then useally easier to unscrew shower slide unit upwards and the filter is in base of the solenoid assembly.
Can be just as easy to remove the cable connections and do it rather than drop the shower through the bath etc.

Take you 10 mins.

seco services";p="2536225 said:
If you say it's useable up till 5 that tells me then you can have a warm/hot shower at about 4.
Shouldn't really be get warm/hot at 4.

Flow problem, Double check filter and stopcock etc. I could have a shower at 5, it's not hot but it's warm

Then 6 it suddenly jumps to overheat, Could be a faulty flow valve.

Check filter etc if still same try with head off if still same call triton under warranty. ;)

seco services";p="2536230 said:
Then 6 it suddenly jumps to overheat, Could be a faulty flow valve.

Check filter etc if still same try with head off if still same call triton under warranty. ;) do I need to unscrew and remove the full unit the inlet is built into to service the filter ?

No once you remove the mains inlet pipe the inlet filter is just inside the plastic pipe that your mains pipe connects to, you'll see it.

But cause useally you have no play on the mains pipe you have to slide the shower up off the mains pipe.

seco services";p="2536233 said:
No once you remove the mains inlet pipe the inlet filter is just inside the plastic pipe that your mains pipe connects to, you'll see it.

But cause useally you have no play on the mains pipe you have to slide the shower up off the mains pipe. Yeah i have no play at all. Ah ok, any filters I've had to check before I could unscrew them from the unit to give them a good check and clean. So does this one not come out of the shower ?

Yes the gauze filter comes out but only once you have removed the inlet pipe.

Bit like a filter on a toilet fill valve.

seco services";p="2536236 said:
Yes the gauze filter comes out but only once you have removed the inlet pipe.

Bit like a filter on a toilet fill valve. Sorry bout all the questions but I've never had issues with this type before , by remove the inlet pipe do you mean my 15mm pipe or the actual inlet unit on the shower I put my elbow onto?

Remove the elbow from the plastic pipe you connected it to.
Have you not got the manual ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back