Damp ingress on chimney wall?

GRZ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Newish home I'm currently getting a damp patch on my upstairs chimney wall. The facts are:

-Had damp issues from day one
-Unused chimney open in bottom reception room to allow ventilation
-Checked flashing and all looks good plus the chimney stack in the attic is dry and shows no signs of damp.
-Put a Cowl on top to stop rain ingress but still allows ventilation. (No effect)
- Was signs of damage to render at the bottom of the stack above the roof which I had hacked off and re-rendered with a belkast drip bead. Once set and dried out I Clearcoated the render. (I though this had done it but it may have just dried out abit with the hot weather we had for one week in the summer!)
-Pointing on chimney was carried out before I bought the house and is in very good condition
-No signs of water ingress anywhere, attic inc except for when it shows up on my recently plastered wall? (Pics attached)

Have run out of ideas now and a tad peeved! Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
G

Sponsored Links
Google 'hygroscopic chimney salts'. If you have run out of ideas and everything is sound on the outside it is more than likely that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back