Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a consumer unit which I believe is not big enough as the power trips on one of the RCD\\\'s fairly frequently. Has anyone any advice about changing a consumer unit please?

Sponsored Links
Why do you think your c/u is too small ? have you wired anything "extra" in to a used m.c.b?
The only time (I think) your c/u should be too small is when you add extra circuits.
If power is continually tripping on one of your mcb's, something isn't quite right, you need to determine which circuit it is that trips, turn off all appliances on that circuit, then switch them on and off to determine what is at fault. If extended it could be the circuit is being overloaded.
Give it a go and come back to tell us what's happening, good people on here will point you in the right direction.
BUT BE SAFE !!

Scoby is correct, this is not because your CU is too small, you probably have a fault, either on an appliance or on the wiring itself.

I assume it's one of the MCBs that are tripping, not the RCD. Is it a breaker that feeds the sockets? If so try Scooby's advice. Does it tend to trip when you plug anything specific in?

What rating is the breaker - 6A 16A or 32A? If it's not the sockets that are affected, what is? Also, when did it start, and how often does it happen?

Please send more details and we'll try to help..

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back