Installation testing to satisfy new Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My understanding of change in Regs is that as a non-"P"-self-certificated person I can only undertake (for instance) adding extra sockets to an existing 13A ring mains (providing safety device (MCB in my case) is still appropriate. This I believe classifies as a Minor Work.

HOWEVER Regs still inisist on installation details (earthing arrangment, protection for indirect contact, protective device) and full testing (earth continuity, insulation resistance (phase/neutral, phase/earth, neutral/earth - what are acceptable values for these please), earth fault loop impedance (can you explain this one please), polarity ok and effective RCD where fitted.

Instruments for such tests are not part of most DIY-ers tool boxes. Can you recommend any makes/models, explaining what each is for and suggest likely prices/sources - or is this 'professional-amateur' approach simply too expensive ?

Sponsored Links
jolly9roger said:
or is this 'professional-amateur' approach simply too expensive ?
for the odd DIY job, not really worth the cost. you can still do ANY electrical work n your house, just for some you have to involve LABC

see here for more info on testing

jolly9roger said:
My understanding of change in Regs is that as a non-"P"-self-certificated person I can only undertake (for instance) adding extra sockets to an existing 13A ring mains (providing safety device (MCB in my case) is still appropriate. This I believe classifies as a Minor Work.

HOWEVER Regs still inisist on
installation details (earthing arrangment, protection for indirect contact, protective device) and full testing (earth continuity, insulation resistance (phase/neutral, phase/earth, neutral/earth - what are acceptable values for these please), earth fault loop impedance (can you explain this one please), polarity ok and effective RCD where fitted.

Instruments for such tests are not part of most DIY-ers tool boxes.
Can you recommend any makes/models, explaining what each is for and suggest likely prices/sources - or is this 'professional-amateur' approach simply too expensive ?
is this how it was meant to look? you need to close the blue color before you open the olive color. Dont use olive anyway, its 'orrible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back