G4 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
I went to my friends house the G3 I had fit 3 months ago (2nd hand)
All was well until he told me there no power to keypad and panel.
I called and checked out and there was no power to transformer, told by supplier you cannot just buy the transformer so bought the G4.
Wired all up as normal, then powered up - put code in 0123 went back up stairs -put battery connections on and as soon as tamper on box closed the tamper sound on keypad went of - put code in -did same, then noticed that the mains led on keypad was flashing, the transformer in box was very hot, then lost all power totally dead, mains good (242v).
Also outside bell sounder wouldn't work (whilst it was powered up and before power loss)
I have fitted loads of the G3 but not encountered this before.
Help please

Sponsored Links
would guess somthing is pulling more power than it should ? was it a new battery ?have had 9448+ panels take out the transformers before due to faulty battery, but not blown the battery fuse.

I think the battery was more or less dead - you may be right I hadnt thought the battery may be at fault, all fuses were fine I will try

I have just checked my emails and had reply from honeywell -

Dear Sir,

As you have mentioned “the transformer seemed very hot and All mains up to transformer is good rest in panel dead”, it indicates a fault with the transformer.
I would suggest you to replace the panel.

I will thanks again

That just sounds like a typical "We just think you should spend more money with us".

I would (as suggested) test what is drawing to much current, battery, sensor, BELL.

Just replacing the panel without testing could be an expensive waste of time.

I have had a PIR draw 1.83A without blowing a fuse, pulling the panel down and making the transformer nice and toastie!

Sponsored Links
The imaginary one, of course. This the Internet after all. :rolleyes:

Hi Alarm Man,

From above:- "“the transformer seemed very hot and All mains up to transformer is good rest in panel dead”,

How many times have we seen that in the past ? As you say, a good way to get more money out of the punter. I don't know about you but when my transformers get hot my first port of call is the battery. Obviously, as you know, the current limiting resistor my have gone high value, but we won't know that until we replace the battery. Anyway, sorry to butt in, I'll let you get on with it.

Take Care

The imaginary one, of course. This the Internet after all. :rolleyes:

IntelliSense CK-IS215, only seen it once, but it was enough.
I've also had a 500mA fuse show 80ohms, so had 13.8vdc one side and about 1.5vdc at the sensor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back