No water in dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for some ungodly reason there is no water either going to or getting into the dishwasher. I think the valve is open unless it\\\'s stripped, perhaps there is a blockage in the T valve or possible water pump problem???? any advice???

Sponsored Links
Set up video, disconnect hose, look in end, turn valve on. Either you need a new valve or you have a video for sale.

Valves in the uk for this sort of thing can be had for about 35p / 50cents. So they are junk.
Blockages and blocked filters can happen though.

Other possibility is that your supply is from a header tank of some sort, some machines only work with mains inputs.

Hoses can sometimes get so twisted that their internals don't pass water - though a decent supply pressure would have got through I'd have thought.

Odd that all the US queries seen here seem to be to do with laundry appliances. In the UK they must be too reliable or we've got used to them all being rubbish. Some of each?

I agree with you ChrisR, for years wash m/c manufacturers have being reccomending soap powders that wash at 40c yet the same companies in the states sell "cold water" powders cos the consumers demand it, so who's conning who? but I've yet to see an ad by persil/daz/ariel (what happened to omo? or is it lurking in a public toilet ? :LOL: ) that reccomends a brand of wash m/c.

I agree with the above comments.
I am a washer mender (among other things) by profession and have seen dozens of cases of faulty valves. especially the ones that "self tap" into the pipework with a clamp. If you have one of those fitted its only a matter of time before the corrosion caused by the diffrent metals causes a complete blockage. Take it off and fit a proper tee peice and an in line tap ( or do you call it a faucet ?). then no more probs.

Australia also have cold water powders that work very well..

Sponsored Links
Porbably a daft question.

Why do we have to have hot water for dishwasher and washing machine ?

Does it washes better ?

Probably a daft question....

Why do we have to have hot water for dishwasher and washing machine?
Does it washes better?

Have to put this in twice for Scoby cos' he still blind drunk :!: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i think you will find that the anwer is chemical reaction, or more to the point chemical action.

as most "soap powders" contain enzymes (and other such wonderfully named things) they do not work when cold, a bit like asking you to to manual labour outside in the snow, you will do it, but you would feel / work better if it was a nice warm sunny day.

Incidentaly as enzymes are actually "alive" they are killed at 62 degrees, so doing a "boil wash" is really of no use.

A boil wash comes from days gone by when clothes were put in a thing called a copper, (my long gone granny had one in the kitchen) and the water was quite literally boiled, and along with ordainairy soap and a scrubbing board the clothes were cleaned

the action of a washing m/c serves only to agitate the clothes (which is why a drum (inside a washing m/c) has paddles and goes round slowly then stops and goes the other way) its the water going through the material that actualy lifts the dirt off, all the detergent does is to help break the dirt down,(then as i said the water lifts the dirt off) and the lather carries it away.

Modern detergents also have a "flouresing" agent that makes clothes look whiter than white, which is why if you leave paper money in your pockets when washed, when someone puts the money under a "forged money checker" the money will glow (flouress)

also if you notice some detergents are "non bio" that is really to say that they have no biological ingreadiants, and rely on various forms of "bleach" to clean clothes, and that is why non bios make coloured clothes fade

i bet you wish you hadnt of asked now.

incidentally leaving money in your clothes when being washed is a criminal offence........

it is more commonly known as money laundering.

one other thing Americans favour a top loader rather than a front loader m/c, it may be because with a top loader you can open the lid (m/c stops) and add more washing, but they use about 3 times as much water

joking aside all the above is true

I did a course on whirlpool "american" top loaders....
The USAF use them at all their bases in the UK .... Probably all over the world... They are Awefull machines to work on and Yes they do use MEGA amounts of water..( and are very big)

A dishwasher needs VERY hot water ( almost boiling ) to work properly.
Not only to wash but how would you DRY your nicely washed dishes if you had no final boiling rinse..?

Get the dishcloth out...

Gees said:
but how would you DRY your nicely washed dishes if you had no final boiling rinse..?

Get the dishcloth out...

just a thought, isn't that what the big heating element around the bottom is for? (to dry everthing)

No thats the water heater. A heater for air must be multi finned, in an enclosure and have a gale of wind blowing over it. As in a tumble drier.
Some dishwashers have a heater in a big tube underneath, some are inside as you describe..

Yep me too - same problem. have checked the pipe for kinks and blockages. Coul dit be the pump

I'm crap at this kind of thing :(

Yes OK then.. All the above applies to you as well then :idea:
the pump is for water out.. not in.
could be faulty inlet valve or no wter at machine.
when the machine switches "on" can you hear a faint hum from the inlet valve? but no water.? if so check pipes as above.If not Worry.

Gees - your analysis is spot on. Slight hum some water coming through but then no dice

Fed up of washing up by hand though :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back