Bosch WFX2868GB Water Ingress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place, but I'm struggling with this one:

I have a 4 month old Bosch WFX2868GB which recently stopped spinning. Their engineer said this was due to water ingress into the electronics, possibly due to a blocked pipe, and could cost £350 to fix (more or less the cost of a new one).

I find it hard to believe that a washing machine is not protected from water from its own drainage pipe. Is this unreasonable?

Also, I cant see any evidence of a blocked pipe as the sink and dishwasher drain to the same place. Is it possible that water could be coming back down the pipe only from a partial block or that it has cleared itself?

Sponsored Links
this sounds totally unreasonable. i would be seeking a full written explaination from the engineer. this should detail where the water is coming from, and how in their opinion it has been caused. obviously any water from inside the machine should be covered by warranty. however the other extreme like cleaning it with a power washer would be unacceptable. i can't think of anything short of a flood that could cause such damage. on the whole bosch are a great company to deal with so have another go at their service department and if nothing else ask for a copy of their engineers report.

I managed to get the engineer to give me a call.
It seems that there was a bit of a communication problem and that the water was not coming back down the pipe after all.
He reckoned that it was splashing back on to the back of the machine from the point where the drainage hose was hooked into the drain pipe. There is some evidence of water around this area and although it doesnt look like much, I supose it wouldnt take a lot to cause problems in the electrics.
I'm still a bit surprised that washing machines aren't better protected from water, seeing as they use so much of it, but I'm led to believe that this is not uncommon so I suppose I'll just have to live with it.
Thanks for the advice anyway Keith

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back