Lugs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always imagined that flush mounting on plasterboard would require that you screw the mounting box into one of the batons that the board is mounted on, which I guess would limit where you could place a socket.

As such, what’s a lug? If it’s part of the mounting box, does it really securely clamp against the plasterboard from behind, once you’ve tightened up the socket? I can’t imagine what kind of device (i.e. a lug) would generate enough friction to mount a socket really solidly in this way.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
The 'lug' is what you screw into ... in a dry linning box (as used for plaster plate socket fixings), they are spring loaded and tighten up against the back of the plaster plate holdong the socket in place. -- A godsend for the electrician and very secure....

pro.jsp

Red lugs

breezer said:
alexnic means

3278_l.jpg

I see what you mean alexnic and breezer. Thanks for that!

I notice though that this box has a lip that must abutt against the exterior face of the board. Is this covered by the socket? Or does it sit on top on the lip and hence isn't absolutely flush to the wall?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
That lip stops the box from falling into the hole and is covered by the socket, hardly noticeable. By the way it's not the first time I have seen the box used as the template on the wall the wrong way round (using the lip) and then the hole is too big for the box!

Cheers Breezer ..don't know why my image never worked?

I used some boxes for light switches that you "turned" the lug once in the wall and they actually cut in in to the back of the plaster, mind that was a few years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back