Trouble with Whirpool Washing Machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Our Whirlpool has been acting up the last month or 2.
Today, I kept a record of what went wrong.
It was on a normal wash :
1) Stopped on the Washing Cycle. Allowed me to open door, small amount of water in. I quickly closed the door and pressed Start and the machine started again.
2) It then stopped at the beginning of the Rinse cycle - but none of the soap/conditioner had gone into the machine, it was still in the draw.
3) The machine then stopped during the rinse. There seemed to be a noise coming from the machine as if it was trying to do it.
4) It wouldnt carry on so I had to go back to Stop and choose Rinse & Spin. This time it seemed to Rinse but it wouldnt spin!.
5) Tried putting it on Short Spin option but it wouldnt do it.
The soap/conditioner is still in the draw and I chose a full programme again to see if it would work. It is still ongoing but I have had to go and press Start again as it has stopped on its own. The soap/conditioner has now gone into the machine.
6)Stopped at the end of Rinsing. Eventually by pressing start a few times it kicked into life again
7) It gets to the end of the spin cycle without spinning! I wont go any further. The door is now locked! :evil:

Help please - is our washing machine beyond help??!!

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that your filter is not blocked? That might explain the lack of spinning, it's forever happening to me (I've dogs and a careless hubby)

I once had a fifty pence piece block up the filter halfway up, took about an hour to get it out.
HTH

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The model is an AWM328. We have 3 children so it is used regularly!! (not that we put them in it!!) They machine is 6 years old.

Excuse my ignorance but is the filter the pipe at the back that goes to a pipe that leads to the outside drain? If so, how can I take this off and check it (if indeed I can!)

I am beginning to think something is stuck because I think the washing machine is maybe stopping at certain points in the cyclye when the water should drain and it isnt - Last night I had to empty the machine using the port(?! - is this the filter?) at the bottom right front of the machine that unscrews and the whole lot came out! The clothes were obvioulsy soaking and I had to use the tumble drier because it hadnt spun again.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
we need to rule out a few things. there are a few reasons why your machine may act like this.
1. faulty, blocked, partially blocked drain pump.

to test this select cycle A . this is a final rinse and a long spin. watch it to make sure that the water drains out in a reasonable time. i.e. no more than 30 secs. if it does not drain at all then you will have to look for blockage in the filter which is behind the circular flap on the front panel. if there is nothing in there then if possible with the machine switched off, pull the whole machine forward and tilt it back slightly so that you can reach underneath to squeeze the black sump hose. i.e. from tub to filter. does it feel like there is a sock or something in there? if so then the hose should be removed and the item taken out. n.b. don't be alarmed at finding a ping pong ball in the pipe it's meant to be there.

2. if it drains ok but stops just before the final spin, try the door and see if it opens. if you can open the door that means that the microswitch mounted on top of your door lock has failed to connect properly. ( the slide mechanism does seize up over time) a scoot of w.d.40 should free it up. that is with the door lock removed.

3. if however your machine runs for approx 30 secs and stops, but then restarts for another 30secs after pressing the start button, that almost certainly means that the motor brushes should be replaced.

4. if you do all of the tests above without a load in the brushes fault may not show up due to the lighter load. listen out for a faint crackling sound as it spins, that will confirm that the brushes need to be changed.

i hope i've explained myself o.k. i can assure you that in the vast majority of cases it will be one of the above causing your problem. i recondition whirlpool machines and have done for the last twelve years, however there will always be the exception to the rule.

Thanks for your help - I am going to try these things now and I will let you know how I get on!

Cheers
Mark

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I followed your checks Keith

The water didnt drain at all. At about half way through the rinse there was a faint crackling sound as you described until the end of the rinse. The machine didnt go onto spin, it just stopped. I pressed the start button and it started but seemed to just carry on the rinse and then went to stop.

We emptied the water through the filter at the front and then pulled the machine out. I had a good squeeze of the black sump hose but apart from the ping pong ball I could feel nothing.

It seems like it is the motor brushes then - would this stop the draining of the water on its own?

How much should I expect to pay for parts & labour to replace these please?

Thanks
Mark

please note 10a and 9 in forum rules

Sorry Mod! - didnt notice. I am not after an exact price just a ballpark figure as I have absolutely no idea in these things!

Mark

this machine runs a self test on the motor. if it's not happy it will shut down the cycle no matter what it's doing. trade will charge anywhere between £35 and £75. just get yourself a set and fit them yourself. remove the back panel and the motor is held on by one 13mm bolt. undo it and turn the motor around. the carbons are in the black holders each with two screws. the motor is made by ce-set. any ce-set carbons with the slant to the same side will fit no probs. expect to pay approx £12 for a set.

is there a website/shop you know that sells this sort of thing?

Thanks very much for all your help BTW.

Thanks
Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back