Wood panelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was hoping you could give me some advice on the quickest and easiest way to prepare wood panelling for painting. I've just moved into a new home and the dining room walls are clad in wood panelling. As I haven't got the time or the money to remove it completely, I want to disguise it by painting it. As I have never tackled anything like this before, I was hoping for some advice on the products to use, as a friend has suggested using a "liquid sandpaper" solution, whilst others have suggested hiring a sander. Also once prepared would be normal wood primer and gloss paint provide a good finish.

Thank you,
jenni

Sponsored Links
The liquid sanding stuff isnt really much good...id go for a good rub down with 100 grade abrasive paper then a coat of dulux super grip or melamine primer. Then finish with what ever you want....you dont need wood primer.....thats specifically for bare wood.

Rubbing down provides the best key.

This is all asumming the paneling has been varnished or stained before hand.

If the wood panels are pretty smooth and somewhat shiny I'd use smooth surface primer. That stuff works great. My mom did not use it in her kitchen when she painted the wood panels and about a week later my grandma walked too close to the wall and the paint just peeled off (in one piece!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back