Hot water only works sometimes-- HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

We have a Valiant boiler that heats our water. Our house is also heated using this hot water through baseboard heaters.

Sometimes the hot water just stops being heated. The pilot light has not gone out (we have propane).

My husband has checked many different connections and parts and they appear to be working fine. For example, one time he took the thermostat apart. Then he put it back together. Then the boiler started heating the water. He thought the thermostat was the problem.

The next time we ran out of hot water, he repeated what he had done with the thermostat, but nothing happened that time. So, he took some other parts apart and put them back together. During this process, it started heating again, so, once again, he thought he had identified the problem.

The third time the hot water stopped working, he worked on the part he thought was the problem the previous time, but nothing happened. So, basically, he has tried working on different parts, but he doesn't know what makes it start working again - it is a mystery! There is no pattern.

I guess there is a pattern: We run out of hot water, he works on a bunch of things to no avail, then it starts working again on it's own.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks! : )

Sponsored Links
I think that the suggestion is that you need to get a new husband who is better qualified at working on heating systems!

Are you tall and beautiful?

Tony

Sponsored Links
What is it?, valiant air pressure switches are the usual culprit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back