Motion Sensor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Just wanted to ask if anyone knew where I could get hold of something simple which does the following for indoor use (not for security, but to avoiding bumping into everything in the dark):

1. Switch the light on when someone enters the area.

2. Can detect anything within a 90 degrees angle at least.

3. Switch the light back off after a few seconds. (If the time could be chosen, then even better.)

4. Deactivate itself during daylight hours.

5. Not require internal wiring.

Something like this sounds great but don't know where to get it and whether it does all the above.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motion-sensor...360245722QQcategoryZ14984QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The following (and other similar devices I've seen on the web) seems to be capable of everything but does it need internal wiring?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3141&TabID=1&C=SEO&U=SEOsearchPages&doy=search

Thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
When you say no internal wiring, are you looking for a battery rather than mains operated one?
The ebay one looks horrible IMO! The Maplin one is a sensor only and would need to be hooked up to a separate light with a power supply running to both. However, it looks like it would then do all you want it to.
I've not come across any battery operated ones to be honest

pretty sure it works
:LOL:

Like the ebay seller couldn't try it out.

---------

Why not check out your local DIY supermarket ? The usually have a selection of these type of things. Tends to be less work if the unit has a light and PIR integrated, than if you buy the 2 things seperate, and then have to connect them together.

Bought a PIR for my outside light when I first moved in. Exactly the same reason you give. Existing light was on lighting circuit, PIR box instructions specified mains ring connection, task suddenly went to bottom of the "to do" list.

---------

Thats interesting, this thread has encouraged me to look at that PIR again. It doesn't say so, but I get the impression it only needs to be on the ring main if I intend to put a 1kW or 2kW lamp on it. Feel sure my 60W could just stay on the lighting circuit. Still not starting that job up again yet though.

Thanks for the replies guys.

SB, what I mean by 'internal wiring' is having to pull wires out of walls and electrocuting myself. If all mains ones have to be internally wired, then yes, I guess I would looking for a battery operated one. I think the ebay one is perfect, if it could do the job; there would be no fuss at all with that one.

"The Maplin one is a sensor only and would need to be hooked up to a separate light with a power supply running to both"

I might give that one a miss then.

G0, I was hoping that the device would work with the existing light bulb on the ceiling, but if not, then an integrated one like you mentioned would probably have to be the next best thing. I assume that these can be just plugged into a main socket??

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I wanted mine to modify the outside front door area, I see the area you wish to light is inside. Uh... yes, I've not really thought about that option before, but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't plug it into an existing socket, if you wished. Just the appearance of having the lead there. And you may want to clip it to the wall to avoid tripping over it.

It wouldn't be my choice though.

Maybe, if it's cheap enough, why not try one of those that plug into a light socket first, to see if it does what you want ? I'd opt to get one from a proper DIY store though, not from someone who thinks he is selling something that works. In fact some of the superstores are good if you decide when you get home that it isn't really what you want after all. My local one would (probably) be happy to take it back (in undamaged condition) in exchange for a voucher to be used later.

-----------

Oh, one other thought. Any installation is going to involve some wiring, it's a case of how much you are prepared to try. What occurred to me is that it may be possible to add a wall mounted box containing a fused connection unit next to your existing socket. Then trunking on the wall could carry the cable to the light. Just another option that sounds a little better, if a little more work, than trailing a lead to the socket.

Thanks for the advice Gary0.

Regarding PIR switches which simply replace the normal light switch on the wall, do any exist which can be used to replace an ordinary switch which is part of a two way system; like the switches at the top and bottom of the stairs, for example?

Why do some devices (not just PIR) not work if there are two switches that can turn the same ceiling bulb on and off?

Thanks.

Sorry traveller, have only read half this post so I have probably got it wrong as usual. But totally agree with Sparkybird, the ebay fitting looks utter sh**e. I wouldn't want it in my nightmares, let alone my house.
However if you want something that stops you falling over in dark, comes on when you enter the room, and goes off when you leave the room, may i suggest the light switch. :D
TS.

Traveller said:
what I mean by 'internal wiring' is having to pull wires out of walls and electrocuting myself. If all mains ones have to be internally wired, then yes, I guess I would looking for a battery operated one. I think the ebay one is perfect, if it could do the job; there would be no fuss at all with that one.
I think you need a better grasp of electrical fundamentals, wiring, and what switches do.

Unless you get a plug-in device like that ghastly thing from eBay, some wiring is inevitable. Whether the sensor is battery powered, or takes its power from the circuit it's switching is utterly irrelevant. It is still going to need the permanent live from the lighting circuit going to it, and the switched live going from it to the light, just like a normal light switch on the wall, so that it can do its job of turning the light on and off.

It worries me that you don't realise that.

Even if you replace the light fitting with one with an integral PIR, you will have to wire it into the lighting circuit...

Thanks for the helpful replies.

"if you want something that stops you falling over in dark, comes on when you enter the room, and goes off when you leave the room, may i suggest the light switch"

HAHAHA; the trick is trying to make it to the switch in one piece!

I don't really care at all as to how it looks; as long as it does the job, I'd be happy. Besides, what's so bad about it? I would've thought that being connected directly to the bulb would mean that no one would even notice it.

"I think you need a better grasp of electrical fundamentals, wiring, and what switches do."

That is precisely why I wanted a simple one. I have just seen some that you can just plug directly into the mains socket, but there are no sockets in the hallway, so would have to use an extension and hang it on the wall somewhere. Can you imagine what THAT would look like?!?!?! HAHAHA.

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back