Junction box with one wire...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was inspecting wires in the loft earlier, as there are a number of dead cables that need removing. However, while up there I found a junction box, with only one cable going into it.

The cable runs from the loft through a stud wall, just above the consumer unit.

Obviously I'm assuming it's live as I'm unable to confirm otherwise, but can anyone shed any light on why this may be the case? I believe it's just more laziness from the previous owner, but would welcome any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are comfortable doing it you could -

Power on so be careful.
Meter on ACV - test for voltage between L&N and L&E. 240V on both if live.

If live - switching off one circuit at a time at the CU will tell which circuit it is on which may indicate where it may come from.

If not live you will still have to be careful as it may be controlled by a switch somewhere.

With power OFF
Meter on Ohms ( Ω )(beep) - test between N&E, N& any pipes nearby, E& pipes, and L& pipes.

If all Open circuit ( 1 ) (no beep or reading) then it is likely not connected to anything.
If it beeps between N&E and both N and E to pipes but not between L&E it will suggest it is still connected somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I was inspecting wires in the loft earlier, as there are a number of dead cables that need removing. However, while up there I found a junction box, with only one cable going into it.

The cable runs from the loft through a stud wall, just above the consumer unit.

Obviously I'm assuming it's live as I'm unable to confirm otherwise, but can anyone shed any light on why this may be the case? I believe it's just more laziness from the previous owner, but would welcome any thoughts?

Thanks

How did you test to ensure they are dead?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back