FILL flashing on combi boiler display?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hopefully sombody can help.

I have an ATAG Blauwe engel II combi boiler. Yesterday I noticed when heating isn't on the display on the boiler flashes FILL and GOOD intermittently. Had a look in the operation manual and it is suggesting that I top up the system. gauge reads 2 with red needle and 1.5 with black needle.

A few days ago I noticed that one of the radiators set at around 2 was rather cold so turned the thermostat on radiator up and then heat came through. Maybe there was some air in the radiator that the boiler then got rid of thus the slight drop in pressure making the display alert me that pressure is low?

So do I have to turn the boiler off before turning the cold fill valve to fill the system? Or do I just make sure that the heating is off and turn the valve, check gauge, bleed all the rads, check gauge then when the black needle is also at 2 turn valve off? does the valve stay on whilst I bleed rads ot stay on?

Manual says to plug something in and lights to be off, havent the foggiest what that means or even whether it applies. Surely its ok for boiler to be on as in mains switch to be on?

Hope someone can help, have tried looking on net but ATAG info is all in german.

Moogie x

Sponsored Links
Moogie said:
hopefully sombody can help.

I have an ATAG Blauwe engel II combi boiler. Yesterday I noticed when heating isn't on the display on the boiler flashes FILL and GOOD intermittently. Had a look in the operation manual and it is suggesting that I top up the system. gauge reads 2 with red needle and 1.5 with black needle.
Moogie x

Its not a fault and no harm is being done. Just press the R button which will do a reset and it should then go back to GOOD. If you press and hold the S button it will give you an alternating reading of the pressure and flow temp. Once the system pressure drops below 1bar, the boiler will shut down until you refill, so its best to keep everything at 1.5bar when cold.

How long have you had the boiler and what do you think to it?

Ja der erwartet werden wurde, leider.
Try the Screwfix plumbing forum, there's a guy there who goes gooey fingered at the mention of blue angels!

Thanks shall try pressing the buttons you suggested, not sure if there is a R ans S button, will go have a look.

I shall also try the screwfix forum too if I have no luck.

More suggestions welcome and thanks for those already giving me this advice.

Moogie x

Sponsored Links
The boiler was alreadsy here when I moved into this place in March. Its a fab boiler, looks like a space ship, its huge! but its also very scary as it regulates itself and everything. I just don't want to upset it by pressing the wrong button.

the user manual is awful, badly written, and confusing.

the boiler is brilliant tho its the best boiler I have ever had.

Moogie x

ok there is a reset button and a step button which now makes sense, tomorrow when the heating is off shall press step to make sure is at 1.5 will then press reset to stop it flashing.

let me get this clear, pressing reset only resets the display back to good right? it doesnt reset the whole system or anything, that would be too scary!

Moogie x

Moogie said:
let me get this clear, pressing reset only resets the display back to good right? it doesnt reset the whole system or anything, that would be too scary!
Moogie x

Just pressing the user buttons won't make it self destruct or do anything bad. The reset button causes the boiler to reboot and clear any blocking faults. For example if the gas was turned off the boiler would lockout after 3 attempts to light. You would then press the R button to get it back to normal operation.

They are an amazing boiler. Way ahead of their time. They have the same internals - pcb and heat exchanger that was being sold 10 years ago. That says something about their design lifespan! I've got an Atag Premier in my house which is the baby brother to the Blauwe engel.

Have you got the brain unit and outside sensor on the system? You need those two bits on the system for most efficient running.

ok checked the pressure today by pressing the step button and pressure says P 1.0. but when I look at the gauge on the pipe the black needle is pointing at around 1.7. Red needle at 2.0

Which is correct?

If the display is the more accurate one whould I then attempt to fill the system to raise the pressure and if so could I have instructions as mentioned above in earlier post?

Thanks for the advice keep it coming :) will hopefully sort this littlee hiccup soon.

Moogie x

Haven't a clue what a brain unit is, I have a control panel in the corridor, as for outside sensor, what does it look like?

Moogie x

I turned the fill valve and topped the system up so that the display shows 1.3, the gauge moved a tiny amount, so gauge is a little out and will get a new one at some point. Reset the display, everything is working fine.

Thanks so much for the advice.

I now know to trust my instinct.

MoogieMoo x (female that like to fix things herself ;))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back