Potterton Puma: weird noises and pilot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Puma that is covered by British Gas breakdown cover - they've been out several times, last time was to replace circuit board. Over last couple of days the pilot light keeps going out - I manage to relight it but frequently it then goes out again a few hours later, accompanied by horrible noise in boiler, of water and then banging. The boiler is vented on an outside wall (I guess this is a legal requirement) and of course it has been very windy the last few days so I wondered if that might be connected? Or maybe that's an old wives' tale?

I am moving house in five days - my buyer knows the boiler is old: he had his own inspection done and has been told it will need replacing fairly soon. My question is - any ideas what this might be? I would get BG out again but my worry is that if it's a job not covered by them, I might have to fork out £1000 plus for a new boiler a day or two before moving house? Though I think legally my property is technically the buyer's property after exchange of contracts, so maybe I am not liable. I did arrange to have it serviced under the agreement a month ago so that he wouldn't have to pay for that!

Sponsored Links
the problem you are experiencing sounds like a common fault on these boilers where the hot water flow switch sticks so the boiler keeps running after the hot water tap is turned off and the pilot cuts out as it is linked to the over heat stat and the noises you are hearing are the boiler overheating :cool: so basically they need to change the hot water microswitch and all will be well :confused:

Gaz thank you so much... do you know, I seem to remember that might have come up before with this boiler? I just didn't need that extra hassle on top of all the other nightmares of moving house! That sounds like a fairly simple job?

New house has a two year old boiler, a Performa 28 - please tell me that might be a bit more reliable!

Yes new boiler OK.

Between exchange and completion buyer can pull out if there is a material difference between the two, so it is your problem, if it was fine at exchange it must be maintained in that condition whatever the cost.

Sponsored Links
yes they are very good boilers :) dont get too many problems with them :confused: where abouts in the world are you moving too :rolleyes:

I've had a Puma 80 for nearly 10 years now. I had the same problem with the flow valve sticking recently. I took it of, cleaned it up and put on a bit of WD40. It is working OK now.
I had a lot of trouble with the boiler - failed boards, gas solenoid and gas valve. After the attentions of several 'experts', I found the cause. The air release valve at the top of the boiler lets water spit out, all over the electronics. Replacing that has made it reliable, except the flow valve. That was probably cause by earlier water damage.
The 'experts' said some of these were 'trouble' and best replaced. Nobody would fault find and fix the boiler. They wanted to sell me a new one.
Well, I'm about to inherit a few quid and I'm considering replacing it.
It is a perm pilot model. As a fairly light users (daily showers & CH mostly), I should save. I'm wondering if it is worth going for a condensing boiler. My energy provider is offereing £200 back - but I have to buy from them, which is probably expensive. Any views?

pumaowner squirting your dhw flow switch shaft (while hw on, bur electrics off please), and switch, with WD40 may well sort the problem for quite a while.

protobikes your water pressure switch, diverter valve, fan and air pressure switch haven't failed yet, so stop moaning! Whether to change or not is a judgement call - but wait till summer it'll cost you less.

Excuse me! I didn't think I was moaning - about the boiler itself. I guess you are telling me these boilers are very unreliable. I'm not surprised. The other pressure switch did fail a while ago.
I have it on reasonable authority that there is a British Gas league table. Worcester Bosch most reliable, then Vailant, then the rest, with these relatively cheap boilers at the bottom

Well I can make several guesses. Price would be first. I had this boiler because it was the cheapest which my plumber at the time would fit.
That brings me to the second possible reason - fitter familiarity. At that time there did not seem to be much familiarity with any combi boilers amongst fitters and they would only fit what they knew.
Are you telling me you consider Potterton & Baxi as reliable and economic as the ones I mentioned? It's the kind of info we should all know.

Could be. The Puma was out of date when I bought it. It's a box of odd parts flying in loose formation, rather than an integrated design.
I've been doing a bit of surfing. I still see Vaillant and Worcester Bosch recommended for reliability.
I think I will wait until the summer to replace - it makes sense. There may be a bit more fitter experience with condensing boilers by then.

Protobikes, before you disappear, you might like to ask if any of the posters who have advised you cover the Surrey area. It could be a way of finding an excellent local installer.

Are you sure british gas fitted the right pcb as if they have fitted the one for the electronic model the boiler will over heat because the fan dosn't run constantly.

Fwiw - I don't work for Potterton - I've found theor boilers since the puma to be pretty reliable. A few problems, but they all have those. I fitted nothing but Vailants for a while. They all failed, two successive models with the same problem! (Diverter valves)

Worcesters use much the same bits as many of the others. Pcb's not too reliable on some models - usual sort of stuff.

You do tend to get better back up on the dearer models, generalising!

I'll probably get slated for those comments, Hey ho!

Surrey, by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back