boiler not installed correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a replacement boiler installed on a gravity system. Installers installed me a ferolli sigma 60, which states in book it should be installed on a fully pumped system. They didnt make it fully pumped, now i cannot control hot water, i only get it if C/H has been on, and if boiler goes off while gas is running there is banging through all the upstaris pipes.
What should I do, who to trust :mad:

Sponsored Links
Tell them to fix it pronto, and if they don't sue them. They have committed a criminal offence by not changing the water to fully pumped, though with oil boilers we can get away by putting a valve in the pipe. With yours, if the manufacturer says so, it has to be done. You can also report them to Trading Standards and Building Control. (May as well send an email to John Prescott too).

It was installed over 2 years ago now. Fo around 5 months they kept sending people to service the boiler each time changing part out of a new boiler, PCB, control. I was so sick of them I didnt know what to do. About a year a go I asked them for a quote for them to intall a fully pumped stsyem and the cheek of it sent me a quote of over £900. They had over £900 for the replacement boiler.
I may have them come to do the work and not pay them, bounce a cheque and tell them to sue me.
I am in process of selling home an do not want some one else to inherit this problem.

You have six years to take him to the county Court!

He has not complied with building Regs or the boiler makers instructions.

He underquoted and has not done the job properly. Thats not your fault! You can now expect him to do it properly an no additional cost.

Write a Letter before Action giving him say four weeks to correct the problem. If he does not file a claim using the Court online which is quite easy.

You might need a professional witness if it really went to a hearing.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Hang on Tony,

this customer may have had engineers like you or I who would have quated for the correct job, and who would have explained all these things to her. I don't like the blame all going to the dodgy installer, the customer is also a possible guilty party. I also don't like the morals of getting a cheap job done (900 is a give away) and then make the poor guy do a full job but rob him of the rightful cost of this jhob.

The whole situation stinks, and I'm not defending the installer who didn't wrk to part L2, but this also smells of a customer from Hell.

tass said:
.........£900 for the replacement boiler.
I may have them come to do the work and not pay them, bounce a cheque and tell them to sue me.

If you do this, and they sued you, they WILL win, and you will have to pay costs.

Paul has good instincts on this, the installer changed a boiler for nine hundred nicker. He also returned several times to try to rectify problems (probably of his own making) at his own expense, so he doesn't sound like a fly-by-night, maybe just incompetant to some degree.

Unfortunately for the installer he in in an untenable position and he must cut his losses by forking out to bring it up to standard, however devious and unpalatable the customer has been (no accusations tass, but there are customers out there who will try to fleece the installer, usually they're lawyers!!)

I try to judge companies and individuals not by their mistakes, but what they do to put their mistakes right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back