Bathroom fans, hopefully a silly question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wanted to check, that a ducted bathroom fan where the fan is in the loft is regarded as outside the bathroom & hence zones? or does the fact that the fan's grille is in zone 1 (in my bathroom) mean that for regulatory purposes the fan is zone 1?

I'm thinking it's the former, and thus there is no issue, but it's got me wonderng now...

Sponsored Links
slippyr4, if your ceiling in the bathroom is above 3m which is in zone 2 and switched by pull cord or integral with your bathroom lights you are ok, also if your ceiling is 2.25m which is zone 1 and is switched by means of pull cord or integral with the lights you're ok the problem come if you have to touch the switch with wet hands.

best of luck mel :D

a ducted bathroom fan where the fan is in the loft is regarded as outside the bathroom & hence zones? or does the fact that the fan's grille is in zone 1 (in my bathroom) mean that for regulatory purposes the fan is zone 1?
This is outside the bathroom (and hence the zones) so a mains fan can be used inline in the ducting. If you wanted to have a ceiling mounted fan (as opposed to just the grill) then obviously its in zone1 and a SELV (low voltage tramsformed) fan suitable for zone1 would be needed.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Don't tell me you've been reading those mad ideas from Handyandy on Screwfix on just this topic...?

No, it's not that. Just that i'm doing my DIY rewire according to part P. When I spoke to building control they told me they require me to subcontract a qualified(?) spark to test it. I declined to argue the point so far, because I don't want them on my back.

However, when the rewire is complete, then I will start to argue. I want to be sure that every single little thing in my install is bullet proof; it make make my fight with labc a bit easier.

That and my ceilings are 2.21 m high, so the zones on the ceiling are less than they would normally be (most houses have ceilings > 2.25m).

So only being careful!

ban-all-sheds said:
Fair enough.

When do you expect battle to commence?

Not sure yet. It's taking ages to do the rewire cos I keep ending up doing some plumbing instead, and obviously I work full time so it's really only weekends.

I've done all the lighting except the bathroom (well, I did do the bathroom but i'm about to put SELV spots in), the radial for immersion heater, radial for ch controls+boiler, cooker (although this is in red and black so i'm going to redo it in brown/blue), and i've changed the CU. Also bonded everything - previously had none of that.

All socket holes are cut, need to chase the walls appropriately and then cable them up. And I need to run a supply to the garage and do the wiring in there. The current garage wiring beggars belief.

I guess i'll be lucky to do this all before xmas with other commitments, but we'll see.

I changed the CU, even though it's a bit naughty to hook crappy old wiring to it. I did it because after I started delving under floorboards I realised how scary the socket wiring was. The CU has (old - 2.5mm^2/1.0mm^2 T+E) PVC, which runs to JB's under the floor (all within a metre of the old fuse box) where it joins on mostly to rubber, with separate, non insulated earth cores which are just twisted together. More recently I discovered that the dining room's one socket (on it's own radial) was supplied in the regular PVC to rubber, but then the rubber joined onto original lead sheathed cable. That scared me so I disconnected it immediately and we now have no power in the dining room. Anyway, the net result is that the socket circuits are dangerous, but the CU being of the split load variety means now my sockets are all rcd protected, which is a little bit safer. I confirmed that all earths are connected. I shudder to think what the insulation resistance is like.

Given the age and condition of the wiring i'm suprised i've not had any trips of the RCD. Certainly I'll be very happy when everything is finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back