Cable types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use 2.5mm cable for lighting, or do I have to use 1.0mm or 1.5mm ???

Sponsored Links
yes but its harder to work with inside ceiling roes and more expensive. Why not just get 1.5 mm??

There are not many occasions where you would want to use 2.5mm cable for lighting. As Gees has already said, you'll find it really hard to terminate into most domestic lighting accessories. The only time I've used 2.5mm for lighting is to minimise volt drop or due to the collective load of fittings (large external fittings) or because some snotty consultant wants to cover his arse by massively oversizing every cable on the project :rolleyes: .

Actually, I just ordered the wrong cable... just wondered if I could make do.

It's not for use in ceiling roses either, it's in a commercial building, just fluorescents...

Thank for confirming what I was secretly thinking (yeh right!).

Sponsored Links
Flourescent lights usually have a large choc block in them for connection puroposes so you may be ok.

Thing is if you install them in a commercial premises it's in a commercial building you could be liable to prossecution if anything goes wrong (hopefully it wont) and as you are not a qualified electrician you will not be insured

just a thought

Choc block - you mean those plastic things that come in various lengths, to connect cables together? Yeh, there is one in each light.

This premises currently has 6 lights in there, and the light switch downstairs turns them all on/off.

Since we are partitioning the upstairs into 3 rooms (and a bo.. sorry, toilet), I am going to reposition 2 lights into each room. 2 rooms will have an independant switch, whilst the other two (and an additional third in the toilet) will be switched from the original switch downstairs.

If you fancy telling me how to connect it all up, I'm all ears, but I have got a pretty good idea anyway :D

Cheers!

seeing as you will be adding new independant switches you will (probably) have to rewire all of it, since if you don't the origonal switch will still turn every thing off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back