Shower Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower has more water coming out of the tub spout than the shower head. The plumbing is behind the sheet rock/tiled wall. Is there an easy resolution to this problem?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean its a Bath/Shower mixer tap and water is coming out of the bath tap when you switch it to the shower?

If so the washer in the diverter valve is probably perished or worse the diverter is broke!

Is the problem sudden or has it been getting gradually worse?

Andy

It is a bath/shower mixer tap and the problem has been gradually getting worse.

Thank you!

If its been getting gradually worse, I would put my money on it being the washer perished. Its slowly been wearing and now its gone. Those things are difficult to take apart.

Can you reconnect the shower pipe without the need for access behind the tiles?

If so It might just be worth replacing the whole mixer/diverter unit! I not sure what they cost in the states. Of course you could have a go at trying to replace the washer, but they are not like normal taps!

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
All of the plumbing is behind the tile. Is the washer you are referring to behind the tub spicket or behind the hot/cold knobs?

I was hoping I could fix this myself.

Bloody M*****s!

The washer should be in the diverter, in the tap mixer unit on top of the tub (in front of the wall), its just if the shower pipe is connected 'inside' the wall it going to be difficult to get at.

Have ago, you can always call a plumber afterwards!

how do you take off the spicket, i saw this word somewhere as i have been trying to get this thing fixed without paying a plummer 75 bucks if one of you guys can help me. hell, the plummers i called just wanted me to lay in the tub until they got it fixed. wonder what thats about? any help is appreciated. thanks

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

as i have noted before, all the pipes are in the wall behind the sheetrock and tile, the only thing i can actually get a hand on, no pun intended, is the knobs and the spicket, where the water comes out, i may be miss using spicket. but you or someone out there likely know what i am describing. thank you all and whom ever helps me get this resolved will receive a email video thanking you for your help.

Slugbabydotcom said:
Suggest you post this on the US website

Sorry thats the best advice I can give but would like to add that when you do post on the US website that you post a picture and the make of shower if possible.

the plummers i called just wanted me to lay in the tub until they got it fixed. wonder what thats about?
the only thing i can actually get a hand on, no pun intended, is the knobs and the spicket
Yeah right

However if you just want to chat up an English plumber my address is in my profile but only email me if you are really fit.
If you are not really fit or are indeed a bit of a minger 'Nige F' would like to hear from you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back