Cleaning off decorator's caulk from tile-on-a-roll

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, experts:

Recently, I tried to fill in a slight gap between two parallel lengths of tile-on-a-roll wallpaper, in the bathroom. The filler that I wiped into the joint (with a filler knife) was decorator's caulk. After filling in the crack, it looked a bit better for being white, rather than the yellow of the lining paper underneath. I wiped off the surplus with a clean, damp rag, and thought that it would dry OK. However, the light now catches the very thin residue of this caulk, and it looks terrible! Can anyone advise me as to the safest way to remove the caulk from the surface of the tile-on-a-roll? Though washable, this wallpaper does not have a hard, glossy plastic surface. It is more of an eggshell sheen, and I guess that the wallpaper is quite soft and delicate, so I can't use an abrasive on the caulk residue, as it would certainly scuff the material. Is there any substance that would safely dissolve the caulk, and leave the wallpaper unspoiled?
With grateful thanks in anticipation,
A.W.

Sponsored Links
Have had the same problem myself with re grouting tiles and find some of them filled with chaulk, only thing I can suggest is using a knife and a lot of patience try a thin blade and good luck

Just re-read this post and realised I had read it wrong in the first place lol have you tried a low abrasive cleaner such as ciff/jiff or whatever they call it these days

Sponsored Links
Pigeon: Thanks indeed, for taking the trouble to reply (twice) to my query. I actually found a way to clean off the caulk, and now, the wallpaper is clear of it! I live in England, so the name of the product may differ for you, if you (or any other reader) lives elsewhere. Anyway, I used a liquid version of what we call "Flash" cleaner. I used warm water with Flash in it, and a cloth soaked in the solution. It came off beautifully, after a bit of soaking and rubbing.
If you live in the UK like me, you might want to try, for your own problem, a block of 'foam' that is sold under the trade name of "Doktor Power" Magic Eraser. It is sold in small packs for two pounds, and in a large pack for about five pounds sterling. Just tear (or cut) a piece off the block, run water over it, and it will remove dirt or other stuff from suitable surfaces (too abrasive for my wallpaper, though). You may be lucky, it may bring off the stuff from your tiles, if you can buy it. Good luck, and thanks again.
A.Worried

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back