Pressure at Zero, Worcester Greenstar 30cdi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I have a towel rail which is cold at the top and hot at the bottom. I thought that I would follow internet instructions and bleed it. This however, has drained the pressure from the system. So, I went to increase the pressure and the turnkey which should be in the tray underneath is nowhere to be found.

I am pretty sure that this is an unvented system - we have a megaflow, if that has anything to do with it.

My question is this - am I going to do any damage to my system by still running the heating and hot water?

Also, the bleed valve was positioned upside down on the rail (helpful design, I know). I hope but am not certain that it is completely shut. Would I know if it was not?

Sponsored Links
You can go to their web site and ask for another key but if boiler is not loosing any more pressure then the rad valve is not leaking. Also if the boiler is still working then the actual pressure is ok. The boiler will stop working when pressure is too low. Or you may be able to get a key at your local boiler spares shop.

You can go to their web site and ask for another key but if boiler is not loosing any more pressure then the rad valve is not leaking. Also if the boiler is still working then the actual pressure is ok. The boiler will stop working when pressure is too low. Or you may be able to get a key at your local boiler spares shop.

sorry pete but you aren't correct, the rad valve may still have a leak on it the OP has already said the boiler pressure is at zero, some WB will still run with no pressure & could mean the heat exchanger running dry which will certainly knacker it, you can get replacement keys at alot of plumbing merchants & i wouldn't run the boiler until you have increased the pressure,

OP what do you mean the bleed valve is upside down ?

by upside down, i mean that it is positioned on the underneath bit of the rad.
so the screw that i opened up on the bleed valve is literally straight up.

Sponsored Links
what im trying to understand though is whether, as an unvented system, it should definitely have a key, or whether i should be turning a valve to get the pressure up.

i'm still having trouble seeing what you mean by upside down, the bleed nipple should be on the top & look something like the pic below or have a small bolt at the top at the back

http://postimage.org/

yes that is what it looks like. its just positioned in a way which means that the screw head (nipple?) is at the bottom, which meant that its worried me that i didnt get it back on right.

in the meantime, i have ordered a worcester key from the web, im just concerned about whether its actually the right thing that i am doing. i did leave the boiler on today but will switch the heating off and only use it for hot water (hopefully will prevent some damage).

i have tried looking up shops which sell the key but not having much luck so far. i live in n london, if anyone has any clues that would be really helpful too.

no your boiler doesn't have a fill key as part of the boiler, what you should have is a filling loop, this will be two valves with a metal braded hose linking them, this will either be under the boiler or it could be in the airing cupboard with the megaflow it should have a pressure gauge to show the pressure it needs to be around 1 bar

if that bleed nipple is at the bottom of the towel rail then you are never going to be able to bleed it as it should be at the top, if it is in the bottom connection then how are the rad valves connected as they need to go into the bottom connections

no your boiler doesn't have a fill key as part of the boiler, what you should have is a filling loop, this will be two valves with a metal braded hose linking them, this will either be under the boiler or it could be in the airing cupboard with the megaflow it should have a pressure gauge to show the pressure it needs to be around 1 bar

aha!!
thank you

i am going to try this and see if i can get it working. will report back

if that bleed nipple is at the bottom of the towel rail then you are never going to be able to bleed it as it should be at the top, if it is in the bottom connection then how are the rad valves connected as they need to go into the bottom connections

i am going to contact the manufacturer (Aeon) about the bleed nipple in the morning. It does seem weird.

BUT

in the meantime, i turned the handles on the valves, and the pressure has gone back up to 1 on the boiler. I couldnt actually see a pressure valve on the megaflow, but there are a lot of pipes in there.

thank you very much - you can send me your invoice anytime!!

no probs glad you have it back upto pressure & you haven't knackered your boiler, coffee & two for me :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back