DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Concrete casting/tile help please

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcanthony

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Hi all

I moved into my first apartment a few months ago and im slowly but surely decorating it to my specific style.

Its time to think about wall covering, which is pretty straight forward apart from one idea ive got for one long wall in my living room. Basically, its about 8 meters long and about 2.5 meters high, and along that wall i wanted to have a grid pattern of huge tiles, to give a modern hotel/office look. The huge tiles are going to be custom sized to the wall so that from floor to ceiling there will be 3 tiles with 2cm gaps, making the tiles about 80cm wide then across the room i want to have about 4 tiles making eack one about 2m long. And because i dont want thick tiles eating into the space and making them heavy i only want them about 2cm thick.

so basically the wall will look something like this:

So now you know what im looking for, maybe you can help with my problem finding tiles this big. im looking at any ideas for how i can get this look. i went to a local stone place who could order the tiles any size i want in a number of different stone/marble/granite but even the cheapest stone im looking at about 100 per tile after delivering it, but the funny thing is i dont like most of the stone, im interested in concrete.

which is what got me thinking about building a few moulds and casting my own concrete tiles, only thing is that ive never used concrete. so will this work? how do i do it, what tips can anyone give? can i put die in concrete to get a different colour? any help at all i will be very grateful

many thanks in advance

marc[/img]
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
jbonding

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote

take a look at polished plaster (venetion) on the net that will give the effect also ashlar is a type of rendering where the stones are marked out on the wall.
 Alert Moderators
sidecar_jon

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Well, from experience with making sculptures. Concrete can be coloured (builder merchants have concrete colouring powders) and if the mould is made of Perspex (or any very smooth surface, like glass or maybe Formica) it comes out very smooth like marble. One can mix the colours makeing interesting interactions etc.. If its thin and big, put chicken wire in the mould to reenforce it)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > General DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: