lino/vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys,
hope you can help, i am thinking of putting some vinyl down in the bathroom, but i am wondering if there is a special technique for cutting it around pedestals toilet etc, my sister had some laid recently and it is cut so accurate i cannot understand how they did it, maybe they apply heat or summat to help bend it in to place
hope you can help
bill

Sponsored Links
i made a template and used that, at my mum's i took old lino up and used that as a template

billozz said:
hey guys,
hope you can help, i am thinking of putting some vinyl down in the bathroom, but i am wondering if there is a special technique for cutting it around pedestals toilet etc, my sister had some laid recently and it is cut so accurate i cannot understand how they did it, maybe they apply heat or summat to help bend it in to place
hope you can help
bill

Hi

If it is your first time fitting a vinyl floor I suggest you get a big tube of silicone to seal over the less that perfect edge you will get!! Fitting vinyl is fairly skilled to get a neat job.
To cut round the pan and pedestal start by making a series of small cuts that allow the edges of the vinyl to lap up the curved edge.
(Don't try to go all the way or you will cause the vinyl to split)
The trick is to get a hooked stanley blade instead of a straight one, put some pressure against the side of the loo with the blade so the cutting edge is flush, then draw the blade around in a smooth movement. Trying to do it in little bits will leave you with a 'sharks tooth' edge.

You may find you get a nicer result if you can remove the wc and pedestal. Quite often the sink pedestal will just lift out by removing a couple of screws and gently lifting the sink. Some wc pans are easier to remove than others depending how they are fitted to the cistern.

until you have done quite a few of these you are unlikely to get the perfect result you are looking for. If the sanitary ware is white you can use a small bead of white silicone to leave a reasonably tidy finish, if the sanitary ware is coloured use clear silicone.

Ed
www.interiorharmony.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back