garage side door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to fit a new framed ledge and brace door to the side of my garage as the existing one is rotten. What is the best way to treat it?Do I paint it or use a creosote substitute? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Rob F said:
Hi
I want to fit a new framed ledge and brace door to the side of my garage as the existing one is rotten. What is the best way to treat it?Do I paint it or use a creosote substitute? Thanks.

Depends what you want it to blend in with. If there's a back door nearby, I'd paint it like that. If it's more like a garden, you can use one of those water-based waxy stains (make sure you get one for smooth planed wood, or it wall fall off). Cuprinol do some, and the DIY sheds have own-brands. I use them for my external shiplap cladding and the sideway door, blends in nice with the garden woodwork and you can put on a new coat every couple of years with no rubbing down or undercoating or anything as easy as doing a fence; if the old coat has weathered matt, the new one will stick.

If your old door rotted, give the new one a couple of flowing coats of cuprinol clear or similar and let it dry very thoroughly before staining. protect the top and bottom especially well.

If it's exposed to the weather, think about stainless hinges and screws - they're not all that expensive now.

Don't know if it's possible, I've built a small pitch roof over my 2m high gate and I rarely treat the gate at all, still look brand new after 22 yrs.

Good point, though where I live (coast) the weather comes in horizontally!

Re-reading the post, I had thought at first you meant a side door into the garage (so reasonably dry). But if you mean an outside door into a sideway or yard, then I wouldn't use paint anyway - those breathing waxy stains are very good for outside timber exposed to the weather.

I too have an LB&F side gate, the bottoms of the T&G infill get damp because rain collects in the rebate. If I ever do another, I'll pay even more attention to preservative at that point, and try to put some kind of angled bead to help shed the water. I'd also tack felt or something on the top of the door to stop water getting into the M&T joints where the top rail meets the styles. The weather getting at the hinge pins is why I replaced with stainless hinges.

A little roof would be good. Is that a lych gate?

Sponsored Links
JohnD_ said:
A little roof would be good. Is that a lych gate?
Similar idea, I made the roof section between the 2 wall without the side post. I also made the heavy duty gate in 19mm T&G on both side of the frame so no rebate showing and the rain just run off at the bottom of the weather bar threshold. For wood treatment I use Tung Oil.

The door faces the back garden, so Im not too worried about a particular colour. What I want is for it to last so a good soaking with cuprinol and a few coats of stain sounds like the answer. The existing door I made about 6 years ago and the lower part has rotted right through. This is why I wasnt sure about using paint again.

Many thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back