Adding a switch to a line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to add a switch to the cable that runs to the lights in my cellar so i can switch them off from downstairs as well as up.

I have a gang switch which has 3 connection points and earth ( they look like this > :-. that is two chock type blocks at the top coming down to 1 at the bottom).

Is this the right sort of switch or do i need a different type.

Basically I am adding a \\\'cut off\\\' halfway thru the power line.

Thanks for the advice (in advance)

:)

Q

Sponsored Links
If you do a search for "2 way lighting" or "two way lighting" on this site you should get what you need!

do you mean you want a sort of master switch "cut off halfway thru the power line"? This is how i interpret your question anyway, you dont need a 2-way switch but you can use it. tap into the power to the cellar lights (should be one cable), connect the lives across the switch (com and L1) and connect the neutrals to a choc block in the back of the switch box.

If you want a switch that you can turn on at the top and then off at the bottom, you need a 2-way circuit which is slightly more complicated and needs more explanation, see for reference for this.

Thanks guys, I'll look through the ref. listed.

I think you have given me the answer i need Crafty.. so ta for that, only thing is i got too many wires for holes! (3 holes and 6 wires (inc earth) so 2 of same in each??? and then which in which)

I will look around 1st and post again if still stuck.

Ta

Q

Sponsored Links
You get the cable that is supplying power to the cellar lights before the switch . . .

cut it so you have 6 cores to terminate
connect one live to com
connect the other live to L1 or L2, doesnt matter which
join the 2 neutrals together, as they were before, using terminal blocks
connect the earths together in the backbox.

Simple loop-in-at-switch system. You NEVER connect earths or neutrals directly to the terminals on a lightswitch mechanism.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back