2 new spurs via junction box from ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Master Bedroom only has 1 double socket. This socket is to the rear of the right side of the bed. I wish to add another double socket at the left rear side of the bed. This is run a clock and a lamp mainly. So we will end up with socket at either side of bed behind bde side cabinets.

The orignal socket is on a ring main (has 2 sets twin and earth going to it).

I am going to put a junction box from the orignal double socket then create a spur at the other side of the bed. I already have the new socket in the wall (not wired up yet)

I also need another double socket opposite the orignal socket about 8 feet away. This runs with the joists so only 1 floorboard to lift for that one. Might as well get two done while I can.

So my plan is to create 2 spurs with a junction box off the original double socket on the ring main.

Just a few questions:

1) Is this the best way to do it?
2) Is 23A twin and earth cable adequate for the job. Says its for mains sockets so I presume so.
3) Do all suprs need to be fused? If so what amps (13A I presume). And would these be fused at the socket using fused sockets or fused junction box.

According to many posts I have read and electrical guides this seems ok. To run a small radial circuit of 2 sockets from the ring main.

Regards,
Paul

Sponsored Links
you arent running any radials, 2 spurs. a spur with simply a double socket at the end doesn't need a fuse.

Where is this junction box going?
*directly on the ring main? (cut into existing cable near existing socket) (safe)
*from a new cable from the existing socket? (not safe) (what i think you proposed)

will it be accessible? Wouldnt it be better to extend the ring main rather than run all these spurs all over, making a mess, and having inaccessible junction points?

1. no. extend the ring.
2. 23A twin and earth? what's this? 2.5mm² cable ("socket cable") has many different ratings. it is only rated at 23A when it is clipped to a wall and well ventilated (i think) and its rating drops substantially when run in insulation or grouped.
3. no.

*directly on the ring main? (cut into existing cable near existing socket) (safe)
*from a new cable from the existing socket? (not safe) (what i think you proposed)

Was going to go from existing dbl socket. But I shall extend the ring main

(i shall find the cable from the existing dbl socket and extend from there).

I suppose that way I can add my 2 dbl sockets and continue the ring. Won't exactly be ring shaped so to speak (but that cant be hepled). Then each socket is going to end up with a pair of 3 core cables to it. (i.e all attatched to the ring main)

Where is this junction box going?

Juntion box is going under the floor boards. The JB will allow me to connect to the existing cable from the ring main. Need some way of connecting to existing wiring

will it be accessible? Wouldnt it be better to extend the ring main rather than run all these spurs all over, making a mess, and having inaccessible junction points?

I can extend the ring. Means a bit more work. But if its safer then thats fair enough.

2. 23A twin and earth? what's this? 2.5mm² cable ("socket cable") has many different ratings. it is only rated at 23A when it is clipped to a wall and well ventilated (i think) and its rating drops substantially when run in insulation or grouped.

Yes its 2.5mm cable.

pedmon said:
But I shall extend the ring main

(i shall find the cable from the existing dbl socket and extend from there).

I suppose that way I can add my 2 dbl sockets and continue the ring. Won't exactly be ring shaped so to speak
i have drawn a diagram to clear up any confusions.
ringdrawing1to.jpg

Sponsored Links
pedmon said:
The orignal socket is on a ring main
You will, of course make sure of that, won't you, and not just assume that 2 cables at a socket, or indeed 2 cables at the origin mean that it can only be a ring....

That looks the same as what I was going to do yes. Just rotated 90 degrees anti clockwise.

ban-all-sheds said:
pedmon said:
The orignal socket is on a ring main
You will, of course make sure of that, won't you, and not just assume that 2 cables at a socket, or indeed 2 cables at the origin mean that it can only be a ring....

Yes Im going to check that. Cause it could be just be a spur that joins to another existing socket.

Yes your diagram depicts what I am now intending to do.

(Original)

original.jpg

(Proposed ring main extension)

new.jpg

Regards...

BJS_Spark said:
pedmon said:
Juntion box is going under the floor boards
Not sure this is what is meant by accessible!!

Well no probably not. Im sure it means is the ring main accessible.....not sure yet (hopefully, will find out at weekend when we have some light and i can turn the mains off)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back