The very best white emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to repaint my hall completely white with emulsion. If cost is no issue what is the very best paint that I can use to get the very best finish?. From looking at previos posts I think Dulux trade diamond white has been recommended at around £40 per tin, or read that Little Green Paint is also very good. Any other views?.

In addition, from reading the previous opinions , the very best finish is to first mix the paint 50/50 with water for the first coat, 80/20 with the second then a final top coat with the emulsion. If I'm using expensive paint I trust my first coat of 50/50 is the same expensive emulsion I'm buying and not any cheap rubbish from the local superstore?.

Sponsored Links
Firstly....ive cost is no object can I come and do the painting for you?....I charge a very reasonable 500 pound per day...less allowence for tea and custard creams.....

While your considering that, lets talk about the paint....

Firstly.....DONT BOTHER with diamond matt....its a nightmare to apply and the finsih isnt 100% matt, it has a slight sheen....not far short of eggshell.

Dulux matt a very good range of paints called Heritage...they have a very flat chalky looking finish and are reasonably priced. (from a trade outlet)

I have never used little green paint.......but I think its a bit pricey...as is farrow and ball.....which I have used quite a lot.....nice paint to apply, good finish..but again its expensive.

As is fired earth paint

You mentioned 're painting'....so assuming that it has been painted before then you dont thin the first coat 50/50....the amount you thin the paint will vary by the quality.....but remember thin it to much and it wont cover...and the edges will dry very quick....dont thin it enough and you will end up with an orange peel finish...(if you roll it)

Work in the coldest environment that your comfortable in....the cold air will help stop the edge going off too quick

If the walls are bear then any cheapish paint will be ok for a mist coat.

Which brings me to application...if you want a real quality flat finish then buy yourself a good brush and use that...the brush finish gives a smoother appearence...and helps keep light relectance down.

My advice.....Dulux Heritage.

Thanks Zampa, so Dulux Heritage it is with a nice expensive brush. The walls were previously painted some years back by the looks of it, but where I have pulled off the lovely Anaglypta paper covering it there are a few areas where the paint has cracked and peeled. I've been rubbing the area down and filling in some gouges with polyfilla finishing skim so I'm assuming it's ok to just paint over this then. There are also a couple of completely bare areas.

As for you doing the job I now have an incredibly large mortgage and can only afforf to pay you in tea and biscuits if you fancy the job.....

Sponsored Links
leeh said:
Thanks Zampa, so Dulux Heritage it is with a nice expensive brush. The walls were previously painted some years back by the looks of it, but where I have pulled off the lovely Anaglypta paper covering it there are a few areas where the paint has cracked and peeled. I've been rubbing the area down and filling in some gouges with polyfilla finishing skim so I'm assuming it's ok to just paint over this then. There are also a couple of completely bare areas.

As for you doing the job I now have an incredibly large mortgage and can only afforf to pay you in tea and biscuits if you fancy the job.....

Creamy or plain?

Right then......your walls sound a bit rough, have you considered lining them?.....and have you washed them down thoroughly removing ALL of the old paste?...if not the paint will fizz up when you put it on.

As any painter will tell you...the preperation is the key...you'l be throwing good money after bad otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back