boiler cuts out when reaches temp then wont fire back up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help i have a gloworm fire and back boiler when i turn the heating on it fires up for about 10 mins reaches temp cuts off then tries to fire back up bur cant just makes a humming sound please can anyone help im really cold...thanx xx :cry:

Sponsored Links
hi gasman thanx for your reply how do i do that ?only dont want to sound stupid but im a single mum i no were the pump is ..wot do i look for i no these a switch on it with two little marks 1 line and 2lines how do i no if its not workin?thanx again

:cry: :cry: can anybody help me its seems to be getting colder :(

Sponsored Links
I had this problem. There was an airlock in the pump. What happens is that the water isn't circulating so the boiler cuts out as it overheats very quickly.

If you don't know what a pump is then get a plumber. You shouldn't try and bleed it yourself.

Simon.

:?: hi there simon i no were the pump is but i need to no how to bleed it?ive been reading some things on this web site and someone says about a valve in the airing cuboard?thanx alot

ive also bled all the rads and not really any air in them...do you no how much a plumber would charge me for this sort of job ?? i havent a clue..... thanx

hi again my dad might beable to have a look for me..wot does he need to do..?hope you can help :)

ADMIN - THIS WOULD ALL HAVE BEEN IN A FAQ SECTION, BETTER ORGANISED!

To bleed a pump undo the big screw in the middle. They usually dribble. Sometimes the screw is "captive", sometmes it comes out. The water will be hot.

"then tries to fire back up bur cant just makes a humming sound "" eh?
How do you know it tries? Pumps hum, is it that?
Could be gas valve not opening - corgi job.

System may be low on water - check header tank, check that water comes out of rads when you bleed them.

Check on the pipes by the HW cylinder for an air vent point.

:( thanks to you all for all your help but now im more confused looks like its going to be a dear job,looks like were going to be cold this winter :cry: wot i mean is the boiler fires up reaches temp then when it should fire up again it just humms if this makes any sence to any one thank again xx

the humming comes from the boiler which is at the back of the fire after it should have fired back up

ChrisR said:
ADMIN - THIS WOULD ALL HAVE BEEN IN A FAQ SECTION, BETTER ORGANISED!

Is there a FAQ section on plumbing & CH ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back