Cooker circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am living in a 1970’s built house with virgin electrics (untouched by human hand) The consumer unit has rewireable fuses. There is a radial circuit supplying an electric cooker control panel using 10mm2 cable.

I have a gas cooker so I have no use for a dedicated supply for a cooker. I would like to do the following.

1. Replace the control unit with a twin 13amp socket.
2. Extend the circuit by 2 feet using 4mm2 cable to supply another twin 13amp socket
3. Replace the circuit fuse on the consumer unit with a 30amp fuse

Is this legal and safe? I would be grateful for any comments

Sponsored Links
1970's wiring ...10mm for the cooker is unusual, it would normally be 6mm. :confused:

What you propose to do is fine except it should be a 15A fuse rather than a 30A in the CU When you change the control unit over to a twin skt, use a 35mm box rather than the 25mm deep box as you will find that terminating the cables will be a bit easier

Thanks a lot Alexnic.

I must admit that I haven't inspected the cable for a couple of years and was making a guess at the size. I just wanted to know that my basic plan was OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back