HELP !!!!!! My Potterton Lynx2 Boiler keeps resetting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
can someone help, my Potterton Lynx2 Boiler keeps resetting when running the hot water.

When running the hot water the WATER HEATER and DEMAND indicator lights is lit on the boiler. Then the IGNITION and FLAME indicator light are lit to show the the boiler is on providing hot water.

After a few minutes the boiler goes off and the RESET light indicator comes on, I then start to get cold water through the hot water tap.

I then click the RESET button at the bottom of the boiler. The DEMAND light is lit, the IGNITION light is lit and it trys to start the FLAME light on the boiler. However the boiler toggles between IGNITION and FLAME indicators and then dieds displaying the RESET light.

Can anyone tell what might be the problem? The Plumber came twice and replace some parts and it is still happening. I am at my wits end due to no hot water and heating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks in advance Howard.

Sponsored Links
Dear Howard,

The "reset" as you call it is in fact an over heat thermostat. It must be tripping because the boiler is overheating.

This may be caused by dirt in the system, hard water scaling, poor or no pump flow or the failure of the temperature control system.

A plumber is a person who works on plumbing! If you have a serious fault on a boiler then a boiler engineer is a better beast!

Tony Glazier

I got a boiler engineer in (Corgi Eng) and he change the thermostat, checked the radiators for air pockets (none found) and changed a gas valve unit which cost about £300 pounds and the boiler is still resetting.

I notice it does this when the central heating is on and you turn on the hot water. It will work for a minute and then shutdown.

Anyone has any more ideas? I am not sure if this engineer knows what he is doing.

Thanks in advance, H

Sponsored Links
It seems quite certain that he does not!

You should get him to refit the original gas valve and you should not be charged for his inability to diagnose the fault.

Anyone who understands boilers will know that the gas valve is not likely to be the cause of your problem.

Either he is grossly incompetent or a cowboy. To buy the gas valve would be less than £150. Being CORGI registered only means he is safe to work on gas.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back