Combi making banging noise then cutting out :cry:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I turn on the heating the first thing that happens is the sound of a kettle boiling when the flames fire up. Then the BAR dial starts to rise, when it gets just above 3 you hear a constant loud banging and water starts sputtering out the back. Then it dies.....

I had a look inside and there's a little red release valve that is going crazy and causing all the banging.

And ideas as to what may be causing the problem??

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Your boiler should be around 1 bar cold and the filling loop should be disconnected.
If you still get this problem you will need a corgi to check your pressure vessel. :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bahco, I think you hit the nail on the head. I've noticed that I can't completely close the valve on the filling loop.

Why is it so important to be closed?

The filling loop is used to fill/top up your CH system with water from the mains. If it is not closed, it will continue to fill the system. When it reaches 3 bar, the pressure release valve (the thing with the red knob) opens to release some pressure.

Can I be a plumber now B. :D

Ta Igorian. I managed to close the valve but the pressure just keeps on building untill the banging starts and the boiler cuts out. I think I have a build up of limescale or something in the pipes. I'm gonna call the plumber tomorrow but it looks like its going to be another cold night tonight :cry:

I'm not a plumber, but read a lot of the posts on here. The pressure vessel that Bahco spoke about (it's a big red tank and has a valve like on a car tyre) should be full of gas. take the cap off the valve and give the pin a little press. If water comes out, it's knackered, (plumber required) if gas, it's likely to be ok. (don't let too much gas out)

The fill loop could also be letting water through if the valve is shot. One way to tell without taking it off would be to turn off the mains at the stop cock. If it works, at least you'll have some heat until the plumber arrives. :D

Ian, You know more than me mate. :LOL:

By the way, the PV will be filled with air and not gas, ;)

sweeet said:
I managed to close the valve but the pressure just keeps on building
Why don't you turn off the cold water supply further back to stop it filling. Then at least you could run the heating.

Bahco said:
By the way, the PV will be filled with air and not gas,
Actually, they are sometimes filled with nitrogen when manufactured, so strictly speaking Igorian was right. ;)

Lol B. I think u will have the last laugh on me. The auto air vent thingy on my potterton is p**sing water. :(

Now where did I put me blow torch. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back