DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

carbon brush ,renewall

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
redrunner

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote

help please/ after putting new carbon brushes into A HOTPOINT WASHING MACHINE , what is the correct way to release them with the metal tab on the side ?.
i have fitted a few in my time [ diy ] family @ friends, never any bother.
but fitted some on my sons machine other day, machine went ok/ did full wash./
then first 1 brush went back into holder and stuck there [ while on machine ] i changed that 1 ,............... then the other 1 did same thing/ ...........after changing that 1 as well, .with one from my machine which was nearly new/ and was working ok/. that done same thing./
the motor worked great when it did work/. doesnt smell , no bits missing where the brushes go, looks clean ./ and so on.
any help or ideas, would be gratefull for. regards. r.r.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
tiredengineer

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote

Bend the little tab that releases the carbons till it's pointing up. You'll know if it's right by pressing the carbon back into the holder, it should pop out again.
Remember, power off before working on the appliance
 Alert Moderators
fido

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote

Some people release them before fitting them to the motor, just to be sure they release. If you do that you have to use a screwdriver or little finger to keep the carbon pushed in until the holder is partially slid into the motor, otherwise the carbon will snap off. icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
breezer

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote

i was always told to release it before putting it in, i never had a problem, and i did it for a living
 Alert Moderators
redrunner

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote

first, thanks for all answers, dont know what i was hoping for really.
that is the way i have allways fitted them by releasing after slotting them in, unless it was a spare set allready been released to get someone out of trouble.
to start at the begining/ the machine is a hotpoint wm52 [ my lads ] and about 5yr old, allways worked ok/ but then last week when he tried to use it , it would trip the circuit in fuse box.
enter me/ i looked at brushes first and they were seized in there holders.
so i put new ones in/ [ motor looked ok ,and no smell of overheating etc ] but it wouldnt work / done the trip again ?.i checked door switch etc/
we then changed motor over with my spare wm 52 and put the new brushes in that , and away it went . icon_biggrin.gif
seems it was the motor /this then done a wash or 2 and then stopped/ icon_sad.gif
the rest you know ./ brushes seizing etc/.
ANY advice ,most welcome.
ps, we decided to take my spare and fit that back with its own motor icon_biggrin.gif after all that did work ok. icon_smile.gif cheers .r.r.[/b]
 Alert Moderators
keithwasherman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote

there have been problems for the last year with genuine hotpoint carbons overheating. i.e. the plastic holders were made of a less heat resistent plastic. however if you have tried different types of hotpoint carbons then you should check this.
it is well known in the trade that a partially blocked pump filter will cause the motor to run hot in the final distribute phase of the cycle. due to excessive load. check the filter and it's likely that there wil be a blockage.
 Alert Moderators
redrunner

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote

thanks for the imfo about the carbon brushes k.washerman/.
that is what it appears to have happened on the 2 sets i fitted that had gone back into there housing and stuck there with about quarter of an inch showing, but also MELTED the plastick at the tip of them./ thus stopping them moving. THE ones i fitted were the ones in black housing ./
the ones i first took out were also in black casing and had been in since machine were new and also done the overheating part and got stuck, and that could be as you said filter/pump/ needs attention, also that motor wouldnt work at all even with new brushes, it had had it.

anyway we swapped his machine with my spare and also put new white housing brushes in the motor , and it seems ok. icon_biggrin.gif
i now have my sons outside icon_sad.gif and will out there checking the filter/pump/ first thing in morning, [ well when it gets a bit warmer ] icon_smile.gif thanks to all for your answers. r.r. icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
fido

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:20 am Reply with quote

All WM models were fitted with white (laminated) brushes when new. Hotpoint only recommend you use the black ones on the earlier 9500 series machines etc but I use them on all the 800 and 1000 spin machines because I don't trust the laminated type.
 Alert Moderators
keithwasherman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote

i still don't trust the genuine laminated ones although my supplier has assured me that the problem has been sorted.
 Alert Moderators
redrunner

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote

thanks k,washerman for your answer AND ./ your vote of confidence in the laminated brushes./ icon_smile.gif son says its still working, [ fingers crossed MINE. ] icon_biggrin.gif just have to wait and see i guess.
as for the motor that was in since new [ 5 yrs ] which did same thing to the brushes, and i changed it with a spare / i done a continuity test on it on the pins where plug goes into it and the second one from right was giving a reading to earth ? not being an expert on these things / i assume that it means the motor has had it./ also why it was tripping the power off. regards. r.r.
 Alert Moderators
redrunner

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote

thanks for your reply .fido, seems the brushes must have been renewed at some point . also no one in the trade seems to have much faith in the white laminated ones, icon_sad.gif .
what chance us mere novices
icon_sad.gif .anyway its got laminated in now and if me son phones up IM OUT ./ icon_biggrin.gif cheers to all for replys. r.r.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Appliances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: