Upstairs Radiators

ND

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No water in my first floor radiators - no problem with ground floor radiators. Can any one advise?

Sponsored Links
I have 12 radiators in my heating system - 7 on first floor and five on ground. floor. No water in first floor radiators hence the panic.

I have checked and found plenty of water in the header tank and the ball valve is ok. I tried to drain water from the lowest outlet but the header tank water won't drain. I assume this is due to blockage of the 15mm header tank feed pipe, where it connects to the 22mm pipe before the circulation pump - located in the airing cupboard.

Can't run heating as circulation pump heats up, presumably for lack of water and the boiler cuts out.

Am I right in assuming location of blockage?

SOunds like it. A water-vac on the vent might clear it enough, or mains applied to the feed pipe from above.
Pro tem you might be able to fill via the drain point. Tends to need 2 or 3 people watching turning on and off and yelling. ;)
Woos way to do it is remove a radiator and connect via washing mashine hose to a wm tap. (they come 2.5m and are easy to join).

Do search on "combined feed and vent".

Sponsored Links
Sounds like trapped air lock in system. Try draining and refilling to try and shift it or cranking open rads on the big nut ends as oppossed to the bleed screws, sometimes shifts an air lock. Also vent pump.

Alan said:
Sounds like trapped air lock in system. Try draining and refilling to try and shift it
How is draining and refilling going to clear an air lock? You'll just arrive back at the same situation, but with time wasted and fresh water in system to encourage scaling and corrosion.

Alan Carruthers said:
Sounds like trapped air lock in system. Try draining and refilling to try and shift it or cranking open rads on the big nut ends as oppossed to the bleed screws, sometimes shifts an air lock. Also vent pump.
In what way does this sound like an air lock? Are you a heating engineer?

The assumption that the cold feed to CH system was blocked was proved right. Took me three hours to unblock the feed and the heating is now working perfectly.
My sincere thanks to all those who participated in the forum.
ND

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back