Part P Work - What receipt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got an electrician coming around to fit a new consumer unit and move a light switch out of zone 1 in the bathroom. He's the same electrician that did our PIR, and he is registered on the NAPIT website.

We discussed part P and he said I would get a receipt of the work done. I'm just curious as to exactly what I should get (is there a standard certificate/receipt) so that I can make sure I have the correct documentation when in the future we come to sell the house.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As a NAPIT electrician I believe there is a rule about not doing work that is recommended as a result of your own PIR. This is so that PIRs can be carried out impartially without the temptation to recommend unnecessary work. Having said that, it doesn't mean that anything of the sort is happening here.

You should get an Electrical Installation Certificate, which must include a full schedule of inspections and test results for every circuit connected to the new consumer unit. As he has already done a PIR he should have already have all this information, nevertheless it must be repeated on the new certificate. You need to keep the EIC as part of your house documents.

not doing remedial work rom a pir because of napit? new on me....

plus the works definatly dont sound like like somone who is taking advantage.....

I don't think he is taking advantage, SS.

NAPIT's ruling on the impartiality of PIRs was conveyed to me at me assessment. The area engineer was quite certain of it and reiterated several times but I can find no written mention on the website or in my T & Cs. It's a good idea, but quite unenforceable in practice.

Sponsored Links
We got him in to do the PIR back in May before we bought our house. I don't think he expected us to get him back in, but he certainly remembered the house.

I can see what you are saying though - it's the kind of thing you hear garage mechanics doing all the time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back