snow chains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how useful are they on ice/snow etc? how long do they take to fit? and which wheels need them? drive and steering? what about when you get onto the main roads that are clear of snow? can you still drive on there with the chains on or do you have to take them off?

Sponsored Links
Very etc. A few minutes. All of them. Yes. Leave them on until you next stop. No.

Expensive, but possibly the real thing, easy on off, no chains fits most. heavy duty plastic tracks with tungsten studs... Spikes Spider "Quick"
I saw these in action fitted to a service barge on rally duty looked impressive.

quick.jpg

http://www.spikesspider.com/whatis.htm

I have also seen 'single' chains each with own elasticated strap fixing through / between wheel spokes, easy fit two or three per driven wheel, they looked easy to use ... But were they 'one offs' ? Cannot find any data.
;)

Sponsored Links
Andy, IIRC the Astra manual says to put them on front wheels only.

My Canadian relatives have two sets of tyres for each car, winter and summer.

I thought about buying some chains, but if you think about it the problem when it snows is all the OTHER cars blocking up the roads :LOL: You can't shift them out of the way.

I always made it 'home' with front wheel drive- no chains, however, I did have a set of 'easy fit' ;) chains for my final rear wheel drive car. No matter how one stored them in their natty plastic box .. they always came out in a tangle :)
With the chains on in '82 I actually drove anywhere I wanted in quite deep snow ... Pain in the butt to fit, inevitably in freezing cold .. difficult to find decent area to park for fitting (don't forget that shovel), nightmare when hitting relatively snowless road ... Therefore one actually sought snow covered roads .. hmm! notso good.
Perhaps a spare pair of wheels ready chained?? Awkward space filling, requires jacking and wheel changing, wet snowies in the car/van ..Nah.
Chain the spare ready, still needs jacking, wet wheel storage.. Nah.

My ideal would be the single chain with strap, say 3 per driven wheel, safely stored until required then easy fit, easy remove.. But I cannot find them on the web ... again were they 'special' one offs ?? Perhaps someone else has spotted the like. :?:
Some tips.
http://www.glinx.com/~sbest/4chains.htm
----------------------------------------------------
The 'Strap Chain' deffo patented in USA Here (this one a little OTT) But see the general idea...
Sectioned dwg, tread downward.
StrapChain.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------
An alternative to 'chains' this looks less aggressive to the vehicle structure.
snowclaws1.jpg
snowclaws2.jpg

P

I thought plastic chains can be used on desnowed roads for short distances at low speeds? If, like me, you live somewhere that the main roads are ploughed/gritted but the minor roads are all left to their own devices, that could be handy.

I had my £700 bobsled ride just 50 feet from my front door... wonder if chains would have stopped it? :LOL:

AdamW said:
I thought plastic chains can be used on desnowed roads for short distances at low speeds? If, like me, you live somewhere that the main roads are ploughed/gritted but the minor roads are all left to their own devices, that could be handy.

I had my £700 bobsled ride just 50 feet from my front door...:

Stop complaining, a friend of mine had to go to Switzerland to do this, and it cost him more than £700 :LOL: :LOL:

And I bet his front wheels didn't have an "interesting" camber afterwards :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back