chrome face plate and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve changed a plastic 13 amp socket face plate for a chrome one. Do I have to earth this to the metal backing box? If so, would I link an additional earth from the earth teminal to the backing box?

Sponsored Links
the face plate will be earthed by the earth cable you connected to the socket when you changed it. (you did connect the earth didn't you? sorry if it sounds condesending but i do not know what you did) there should also be an earth wire from the socket to the back box on all sockets be they plastic or what ever

Thanks for your reply.
As I thought, I've connected an additional length to the back box. I thought this just applied to metal face plates. Certainly a few plastic ones I've checked do not.

Cheers

While we are on this subject,years ago my wife got a light electric shock of a metal wall light switch type,since then she won't touch them.Would you say the earth was not connected properly or whatever? Can you get electric shock of these type?

Sponsored Links
if it is earthed properly then no you can't how ever being earthed can also cause a "problem" were there nylon carpets? (don't suppose you know / remember)

your wife may have got a build up of STATIC electricty and discharged it (so she felt it) by touching the switch which was earthed, as it should be

breezer said:
your wife may have got a build up of STATIC electricty and discharged it (so she felt it) by touching the switch which was earthed, as it should be

Never thought of static electricity as she do suffer static shock of a car bodywork,I suppose some people are more sensitive than others.

Would I be right saying if you connect the earth wire from the earth terminal and to the back of the metal plate wall switch (properly can't for safety reason?),would that stop the static shock which should earth out instead of thru' you?

No fraid not, becasue the main earth is still connected to the face of the socket vi the main earth wire for the supply. all the earth wire from the box to the earth does is earth the box. (which is also done by the metal screws that hold the socket on, but they should not be relied on)

breezer said:
all the earth wire from the box to the earth does is earth the box. (which is also done by the metal screws that hold the socket on, but they should not be relied on)

I've finish wiring my sockets etc in my summerhouse and now waiting for the electrician for the final connection to the CU.Should the double socket have a extra earth wire from the socket earth terminal to the metal box,if so there isn't a terminal point inside the metal box to pick up the earth wire. :confused:

Aha...a grey area. The question is whether or not a flush metal back-box can be classed as an extranreous-conductive-part. Extraneous conductive parts are requiured to be connected to a protective conductor (earth) and are defined as follows 'A conductive part of equipment which can be touched and which is not a live part but which may become live under fault conditions'. Flush boxes, once installed, can't be touched but once you remove the accessory they can. The view of the Wiring Regulations National Commitee is that flush metal boxes should be considered as extraneous-conductive-parts, and as such should be earthed. The same Commitee agreed that flush metal boxes with at least one fixed lug (and most of them have) may be earthed via the tight metal to metal contact of the plate screw into the fixed lug. So, unless you've got two adjustable lugs you don't have to provide an earth strap to the back-box.

That aside, the information above is only the 'view' of the Wiring Regulations National Commitee and it is down really to your interpretation of the wiring reg's. I always run a fly-lead to the back box because I think it's good-practice and as most electricians will know, sometimes when you remove an accessory the terminations leave much to be desired and the conductors can pop out; by which point the back-box is no longer earthed because you've got the accessory in your hand. Different people will have different views, but I would reccommend it. In your case you have no earth terminal and you can't do it so easily, so I wouldn't worry too much as long as the screws are making good contact.

Thanks,

Interesting,can I make it a earth box by drilling a hole in the back of the metal box and self-tap the screw with a fly-lead or can I use the box fitting screw instead? Any problem with this?

masona said:
breezer said:

Never thought of static electricity as she do suffer static shock of a car bodywork,I suppose some people are more sensitive than others.
Ever thought of suggesting she try going without underwear? It may be to blame for the static build-up...

ban-all-sheds, you must be bored, the previous post was october 2003

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back