Looking for a durable inline plug/socket arrangement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this isn't really aimed at most here but there are a few industrial electricians around that may have an idea?

Can anybody suggest an inline plug and socket arrangement that's durable, ideally IPX4 though not a show stopper and can accept a 12mm flexible conduit (so M16 or M20 thread). I'm looking for a minimum of 4 pin and earth to accept 0.75mm bootlaced tri-rated conductors.

It's going to be used to facilitate easy removal of a fixture on a lathe which has stop/start push-buttons built in.

Sponsored Links
Most ceeform type sockets/plugs have a threaded cable grip that can be removed and replaced with a conduit adaptor either directly or via a PG to metric adaptor. You'll need a 16A 5 pin (red) one I would have thought.

The problem with that is that it doesn't sound like he is going to be using this for three phases, neutral and earth. So using a standard CEEFORM connector means there is a risk of it getting connected to the wrong thing and blown up.

I discarded a Ceeform socket for the same reasons Plugwash stated.
Basically it'll be four conductors, two for a stop button and two for the start.
Control voltage will be 230VAC.

Sponsored Links
I would go with something from Harting. They're a modular system, you pick contact blocks and shells individually to suit your application. Most of the cable mount shells have either metric or PG type threads to take glands or conduit.

It can get a bit complicated working out all the parts needed sometimes though!

Example contact block:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heavy-duty-power-connector-kits/1810886/?origin=PSF_435725|acc
or: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heavy-duty-power-connector-accessories/3003080/?origin=PSF_435724|alt

Example hood: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1810785/

EDIT: oops that was a 100A contact block, new link is a 10A one...

These may be suitable.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/spx-series/nl4fx-2

4 6 or 8 way.

Although intended for loudspeaker connections they are rated at 250 volts AC. 40 amp rated, and have a twist lock action.

The twist lock means the contacts have a wiping action on make and break thus the contacts do not suffer from corrosion.

I am not sure they have conduit adaptors.

It's just a stop/start button that controls DOL contactor that turns a whirling head attachment on a lathe, 230VAC control circuit and obviously minimal load.

Basically, we're installing a solenoid locking switch onto a set of twin sliding doors that'll be mounted on the front of the lathe. The stop/start buttons will become unworkable as they'll be behind the doors so they're going to be reposition on an operators console outside of the doors.
A plug and socket arrangement will just facilitate easy removal of the head for maintenance.
There's already a 400V ceeform plug and socket arrangement for the supply to the whirling head. The contactor is situated in an enclosure on the head itself.

Budget isn't hundreds but we want the right product.

What about Lewden plugs and sockets?

LDPD160SLASH5S.JPG

If they're already in use in your place for general power, then maybe reyrolle sockets instead?

Yet another option to consider (again assuming you don't use them for general power and so the risk of a misconnection is negligable) would be a BLUE 3P+N+E pin ceeform.

Once your current rating is satisfied does the number of plug/un-plug cycles enter into this?

Cheers guys, good to have more options to consider.
The whirling head on the lathe has been removed once in the last 15 years. I'm only fitting a plug and socket arrangement as the supply to it is also via a plug and socket (400v ceeform).

If it is for control wiring then I would use the Harting type as I have used these before. Be careful of the gendering though as you don't want to end up with live, exposed pins on a plug #teaches Gary to suck eggs !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back