Potterton Puma 80 timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to sort out my timer problem on my Puma 80 and come across you guys.

If anyone can help me, problem being I have replaced the Mechanical timer on the Puma 80 but there seems to be to no avail. Do I need to replace the PCB or is it something simpler.

Thanks.

webber33

Sponsored Links
I don't have an answer to your problem, but I need to replace the timer on my Puma 80. Can you tell me where you got the replacement from and what the part no. is?

I may then end up in the same boat as you if this doesn't fix the problem!

Cheers

Duncan

Duncan

I got the part for these guys.

PARTS CENTER
72 MALHAM ROAD
FOREST HILL
LONDON
SE23 1AG

Tel No. 02082911000

Part No. PUMAPROGM (£18+VAT) but there is a digital option Part No. PUMAPROGE (£70+VAT).

Hope this helps.

I still feel that I may have to replace my PCB as I can only think it is an electrical problem.

Webber33

Hi,

I had a problem with my Potterton Combi recently and called out a so called expert to fix it. He was there for 45 minutes and told what I already knew.

Anyway I managed to fix the problem myself. This is what I did and you are going to need a soldering iron and solder.

Switch off and electrically isolate the combi. Remove the front panel and remove the single screw (on mine anyway) that holds the control panel in place. This should now swivel downwards allowing access to the main circuit PCB. Remove the PCB after carefully removing the connectors from it and then removing its four fixing screws.

Check for any signs of burning on all the large molex connectors around the edge of the PCB on both sides. There were two broken tracks on mine which were simple to repair with a bit of wire.

Next resolder all the molex connectors on the PCB. On mine there were at least five broken solder joints but they can be difficult to spot.

Refit the PCB and replace the covers. For me this resolved my problem where the central heating was not working at all.

I've been told that a new PCB would cost about £140. If you do need one then at least by now you will be able to fit it yourself.

Regards FarmerJo

Sponsored Links
if you tell us the problem we may point you in the right direction.

however you could keep throwing parts at it till it works!

Hi,

I had a problem with my Potterton Combi recently and called out a so called expert to fix it. He was there for 45 minutes and told what I already knew.

Anyway I managed to fix the problem myself. This is what I did and you are going to need a soldering iron and solder.

Switch off and electrically isolate the combi. Remove the front panel and remove the single screw (on mine anyway) that holds the control panel in place. This should now swivel downwards allowing access to the main circuit PCB. Remove the PCB after carefully removing the connectors from it and then removing its four fixing screws.

Check for any signs of burning on all the large molex connectors around the edge of the PCB on both sides. There were two broken tracks on mine which were simple to repair with a bit of wire.

Next resolder all the molex connectors on the PCB. On mine there were at least five broken solder joints but they can be difficult to spot.

Refit the PCB and replace the covers. For me this resolved my problem where the central heating was not working at all.

I've been told that a new PCB would cost about £140. If you do need one then at least by now you will be able to fit it yourself.

Regards FarmerJo

Hello all!

Newbie - thought I'd say thank you to FarmerJo for his post above - saved me about 160quid! I took out the PCB and found that it was slightly burnt on the upper left corner. Went bought a Soldering Iron and bits and did a very amateur solder on it and it fixed the boiler! Hot water again! Yipee! :D

Thank you all for a wonderful Forum and esp FarmerJo. Happy to help if anyone has questions about doing this for the Potterton Puma 80.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back