inhibitor / noise reducer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am shortly having some work done on a couple of radiators which will require a drain down of the CH system. I have a combi boiler Potterton Performa 28i.

I understand that I have to put some form of protector into the system. I have bought "Fernox Superconcentrate Central Heating Protector" for this. In addition, my boiler often lets out an initial "groan" when it fires. I notice that I can buy something called "boiler noise reducer/silencer" (fernox and sentinel both do this). Might this solve the problem? Is it ok to add both the protector and noise reducer? I presume is it ok to mix products from different companies (for example, I have already bought fernox protector but can add sentinel noise reducer or am I best sticking to fernox for this also)?

btw. what is meant by an 'inhibitor' and is it the same as "central heating protector"

thanks
sanjay

Sponsored Links
Briefly checking the fernox website I see that the generic ceneral heating protector has a feature of "reducing boiler noise". So I guess I nned to know whether there is any point in also using a separate noise reducer. Will it make any difference?

thanks
sanjay

They may be compatible, but no-one will warrant that, so I'd buy the same brand if I were you.

I use a boiler noise reducer which is supposed to combat lime scale which is prevalent in my area, it does seem to make a difference.

i dont think the noise your refering too is anything to do with scale or sludge so the fernox boiler silencer would be a waste of money :confused:

noise is more likely to be problem with O'rings in the diverter valve when its switching over to heating mode ;)

Sponsored Links
If the problem is with the O rings, then can it be rectified or do I have to live with it? Is it likely to be doing any long term damage to the diverter?

thanks
sanjay

ok, thanks. Since my boiler is still under warranty (till xmas) I rang potterton who will send someone out to have a look at it.

btw. what causes this sort of problem with the O'ring? The boiler can't be very well designed if this can happen during the first year of its life.

thanks
sanjay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back