Cut through external cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cut through a cable whilst trimming a wall-climbing plant earlier - the foliage was hiding it. The cable runs into a box on the outside wall and doesn't seem to have affected anything - the phone and the internet still work at any rate. I don't know whether the cable is live or not, or whether any rain will make it unsafe. Am I worrying unnecessarily or should I get an electrician to come and check it out? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Can you get a picture? I'm guessing it might be a virgin cable feed for upstairs...

Sponsored Links
I think you might be right about the cable feed - I think the previous people had cable. It's got a bit late to take a pic now but I'll take one tomorrow. Thanks very much.

Yes you are right. When I look more closely, the junction box says Bell Cablemedia on it. I don't have cable so the wires aren't in use, so could the cut ends be left as they are?

If it is a single cable then almost certainly not a problem that it is cut. If it was two cables side by side then it might be a problem as some early cable systems looped into a house and then out again.

But probably out of use anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back