Servis Caress 1600 'A' - noisy spinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 3 year old Servis has just started making loud banging noises when spinning and, when last used, there was smoke in the drum at the end of the cycle.

When the machine is empty I can move the drum up about 1cm before it clunks on metal. I can't move the drum downwards.

There is a film of sooty stuff on the spider arm at the back of the drum.

From looking through the forum, I would guess that the bearings have gone. Does that seem the most likely thing? Is there anything else I could do to confirm this?

If it is the bearings, how much would a new set be and how difficult would it be to fit them? I am pretty handy but have no experience of fixing mechanical problems on washing machines.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Could be the black sooty stuff is powdered belt :) check the tension and wear of belt and renew if required.

Also could be bearings - I had to do my Indesit 1263W 2 years ago - my washer also was making a hell of a racket (especially on final spin) and it took me about 1-2 hours to take apart and fit bearings (old ones came out eventually with a big hammer and screwdriver (but be careful not to damage spider while trying to get them out) - I had to hit mine REALLY hard and they came out in pieces eventually with lots of rusty watery goo. Cleaned up, regreased shaft and fitted new bearings (£22) and she has been good ever since.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ALWAYS UNPLUG FROM THE MAINS BEFORE POKING AROUND

I have realised that although it says Caress 1600'A' on the front of the machine, the actual model number is M306A.

badkarma said:
Could be the black sooty stuff is powdered belt :) check the tension and wear of belt and renew if required.

Also could be bearings - I had to do my Indesit 1263W 2 years ago - my washer also was making a hell of a racket (especially on final spin) and it took me about 1-2 hours to take apart and fit bearings (old ones came out eventually with a big hammer and screwdriver (but be careful not to damage spider while trying to get them out) - I had to hit mine REALLY hard and they came out in pieces eventually with lots of rusty watery goo. Cleaned up, regreased shaft and fitted new bearings (£22) and she has been good ever since.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ALWAYS UNPLUG FROM THE MAINS BEFORE POKING AROUND
Thanks badkarma. The belt tension seems to be OK, with little wear.

Any advice on whether it is possible to get the drum out through the front more easily than removing everything from the back?

May your karma improve :)

Sponsored Links
martin99 said:
I have realised that although it says Caress 1600'A' on the front of the machine, the actual model number is M306A.
I meant M3016A :oops:

In resonse to: Any advice on whether it is possible to get the drum out through the front more easily than removing everything from the back?

On mine, I didnt have to remove drum. Spider came out still attached to red cast iron type three legged jobby. Drum stayed in position ... from what I can remember, it was 3x 13mm nuts (one on each of the three big red cast iron leg mounts) and a big tug on the sipder wheel and it wiggled itself out from the back. I guess it depends on design of machine ... I remember my mate saying how his was a bugger to get out - drum et al job - hopefully yours will be like mine ...

Best of luck ...

Thanks again badkarma.

Well I got the drum out. The spider was held on by a dozen 10mm screws, but when I got those off, the spider came away with a little gentle persuasion.

When I got the drum out, there is a supporting piece of cast ali on the back with four arms. Two of these arms are cracked through which makes me think I need a new drum!

I am looking to see how much one would be now. I can find one for the M3010 model which looks the same for £110 at Speedyspares

At that price and considering the bearings probably need replacing too, I think it is not going to be worth repairing the machine :cry:

I think on the servis you take the backplate off the outer drum and the bearings are mounted one each side of it. I don't have a machine to refer to but would think the back panel is held by a clamp band. If you don't want to renew the rubber gasket for this joint you can use some silicone sealer round the old gasket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back