Summer Project!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a little summer project on the cards.

I have an a couple of "cramped" rooms forming my outbuildings that i want to give a face lift to and make more usable.

A while back with all neighbors agreeing we lobbed a tree down which stood behind. Now i can only think tree roots shrinkage has caused ground to move a bit and a couple of walls have stared to sink at the front. My plan was to take the front and side walls down put a shallow footing in and rebuild to form a more useful space.

My main question really is how to prop the roof while i take down the wall and rebuild? Will normal acro supports be enough and combat the roof from spreading? Would like to do it without having to strip the roof if possible!

Also while i'm on, i have no experience with drainage and wondered if it is viable in your opinions to install an outside toilet/laundry room while i'm on with it, but get someone in to do that. Would be handy but thinking would it actually add value to the property etc? Would like to know your thoughts.

Ta

Macca

GALLERY][img]

Sponsored Links
Yes acros will do the same job as the wall as long as the roof is anchored back via existing joists, or........ If it is a vaulted roof then you may need to add a few angle brackets to the existing plate connections if nail fatigue is a problem. You will however have to needle in order to spread the acros apart to gain access for your footings.

Have you considered floor, wall and roof insulation?

I would also consider installing all the drainage externally i.e. have an external svp and gullies rather than bringing the 110mm pipe inside for the loo etc.

The relationship between the existing - internal, external and eaves levels could be a problem particularly in how you position the new dpc and internal floor height. The existing eaves and door heads seem a bit low whereas the external concrete is high.

As it's only a small roof for SAFETIES SAKE strip the tiles off first, if the footings are in need of TLC I would think the roof could also do with a makeover, new batons and felt, then after you've done the rest of the work throw the tiles back up.

It will take less than an hour to strip the tiles off the roof, it all depends on how many cups of tea you consume while doing it, if you are working underneath and the roof goes with the weight of the tiles you'll be brown bread, or a long time in hospital, then of course it might not be you it falls on, wife? girlfriend? boyfriend? son? daughter? cat? dog?

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/how-many-people-die-on-building-sites-in-england-each-year/2841664

This does not include those confined to a wheel chair.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I have strengthened the roof previously by fitting 3"x2" joists across from wall plate to wall plate and braced further up the pitch for good measures as i initially thought the cracks in the single skin walls were due to the roof spreading. I will get some off cuts off steel angle and fix to the needles to prevent further spreading when working.

Pred i will strip the roof for good measure, saves my royal a*s from a good hiding!

The concrete yard is a mess, at least 6-8inches is to come out plus all the rubble under it so should have slightly more room to play with. The floor in the out houses are at resent a mixture of brick and perished concrete. Plan to rip up and re-lay with DPM and DPC, not sure on insulation, i do have some TW50 left over that would just about cover it. No record breaking U-values but better than nothing i guess.

As for the walls, was planning to build single skin again. Then at some point stud line with a vapor barrier and fill with general purpose roll insulation.

Since my original post have almost conceded to not putting a water supply/toilet in. Just a "laundry room/store". 2 x Basic rooms leading off 1 main door. Laundry room smaller with an electric heater/tumble dryer for drying clothes in winter (saves the house of damp) and a secure lock up.

Thanks for your help.

Macca

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back