painting satinwood over emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kitchen walls and ceiling are pine clad. Previous owners - to lighten the place up for sale - covered said pine with a layer of light blue emulsion. Probably an improvement on the dark brown wood stain that was on there before, but still not the best idea for a kitchen.

So, I've armed myself with some tins of satinwood and want to paint both the walls and ceiling.

Some questions:

1. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be painting satinwood over emulsion? Just checking...

2. Do I need to sand the wood first? I'd have thought this was a standard "Yes" - the reason I ask is that I've made a start sanding, but the bits I've sanded are turning out smoother/shinier than the original emulsion-covered wood. Can I assume the emulsion will make a decent enough key?

3. Do I need to prime/undercoat at all? The colour we've got in mind for the walls is darker than what's there at the moment, if that's important

ta

Sponsored Links
Ideally you wouldn't paint satinwood on top of emulsion. Before starting you should decide if you will be keeping the cladding for a number of years or is it just a quick fix until you do any refurb.

thanks - neither of us are particularly thrilled with the cladding, but removing it would involve refitting the whole kitchen, which is less than 3 years old and we like alot (other than the pine!) So maybe in 10 years we get rid of the pine, but not for now.

So ideally no satinwood over emulsion. But not really an ideal situation. Can you suggest something that would be better paint-wise? What's going to happen if I put satin on emulsion?

Sponsored Links
If you put the satin straight onto the emulsion it may not adhere very well.

I suggest you sand it all lightly, give it two coats of Johnstone's waterbased undercoat, followed by one or two coats of water based satinwood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back