installing electeic cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have bought a cable to conect the cooker to the wall, and the earth wire in this cable is bare,can i use insulation tape to cover the earth up until its connection point

Sponsored Links
No you must use earth sleeving.

Are you sure this job isn't beyond you?

Is this a free-standing cooker, or a built-in one?

err this sounds like you have bought t&E, but you need flex, which should have insulation on it!

lorraine said:
err this sounds like you have bought t&E, but you need flex, which should have insulation on it!

whats wrong with T&E? cookers dont move that often

Sponsored Links
If it's an all-electric integrated cooker (i.e. not just an oven) you'll struggle to get flex that's big enough.

yes i bought t&e as i could not find h50vvf anywere and was recommended the t&e in an electrical store,wats the difference between the two anyway, apart from that the earth is insulated? its a free standing cooker,ive now bought a sheath for the earth

Flex is used for connection appliances to their circuit - the earth conductors are fully sized - Stiff T+E has a reduced bare earth core and is not really used for connecting appliances.

so does this mean that it is not safe to use

the earth 2.5mm wat would be a safe size for a domestic free standing electric cooker,max output 6000w

kai said:
Flex is used for connection appliances to their circuit - the earth conductors are fully sized - Stiff T+E has a reduced bare earth core and is not really used for connecting appliances.

Apart from the occasional cooker?

6mm twin and earth is the cable normally used for connecting freestanding twin cavity electric cookers.

Just sleeve the earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back