Radiators not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a CH system with hot water tank upstairs and a Potterton boiler in the kitchen. I have to turn 3 valves in the upstairs to turn rads on. One rad downstairs is hot another is cold with pipe going in cold also. Upstairs I have 2 rads a bit warm with hot pipes to them. Every now and then I hear the system woosh. I\\\'ve looked for the pump and can\\\'t find it. Any ideas? I have messed with the inputs and the lockvalves but can\\\'t get any heat. HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say I moved into the house in Jan and used the rads with no trouble until April and they have been off from then until this weekend. In the meantime I have had a gas fire removed and a gas hob replaced, not sure if this will make a diff.

I would suggest you make sure the valves on each side of the radiator are open (anti clockwise)
I would then suggest you bleed of any air that may be present in the radiators with the system off.
Assuming the pump is doing its job your water is prevented from circulating through the radiators due to either,
1. valves not sufficiently open(one valve is on/off, other is adjustable to help balance the temperture in rooms).
2. Air in radiators, partly filled radiators are only warm.
3. sludge in radiators prevent the passage of water through it.
4. An Air lock in the pipe work, usually where pipes go up then across then down forming an inverted 'U' where air cannot be bled off.(fairly rare)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Turning the lock valves anti-clockwise they go so far and then stop, no water comes out. If I turn them clockwise then they leak water. The totally cold rad downstairs with the cold pipe to it can hardly be turned before it leaks. We have turned the valves a bit and some of the rads are now not as warm as before we messed, two are still totally cold, though.

I have no idea where the pump would be to check if it is working, I have a hot tank in an airing cupboard upstairs and a boiler downstairs.

Sponsored Links
It's possible sludge has settled and blocked a pipe (or two). If the system was off for a few months, the "air" is probably hydrogen - a corrosion gas, and linked to the sludge.

You should be able to trace the pipes going from your boiler to find your pump.(That may need bleeding)
Problem is that not all systems are the same. Some have a pump just for CH side. Some have a pump followed by a electrically operated 'diverter valve', the valve can be in any of 3 positions ie 'central heating' 'hot water' or 'mid way'
Obviously the 'mid way' means the hot water is shared between the CH and HW.If you have such a valve it may be sticking and restricting the flow to the CH side.
You mentioned a hot water tank which is a little misleading. What you have is a 'hot water cylinder' probablely insulated. A pipe from the boiler goes into this and another one returns to boiler.
When you turn on a hot tap, water comes out of the top of this cylinder, because cold water goes in at the bottom, this cold water comes from a cold water tank (cistern) which is always higher than the cylinder, usually in the attic.
You do need to trace pipe work to establish exactly what is there.
You will appreciate locating the source of the problem is most difficult from afar, based on such little information.
I'm not suggesting I could solve it if I was there, but the chances would be a lot higher. If there is a pump and a valve I would find them.
Hopefully you'll get other advice.

Cheers for the suggestions. Looks like I'm gonna have to do a hunt for this damned pump which must be hiden somewhere and see if that helps.

Have found pump underneath airing cupboard and it is vibrating like it is working. Can't see it very well to do any more. How would I unstick a valve or bleed the pump?

you bleed the pump as you do a radiator, but instead of a raiador key you use a coin or big screwdriver.

look at the pump (head on) you see in the middle that big screw, that is the same as on a radiator, only bigger

OK have taken panel off the wall to have better access to the pump. It has a switch on the one side with 3 positions 1,2 and 3. It is at 2 at the moment. It has not been changed since we moved in, when the heating was working.

You didn't say if there was a diverter valve just after the pump.
If you have only been using the hot water side it could be the diverter valve sticking in the hot water position, but only if you have one.
The pump has three speeds and it won't hurt to try the faster speed, if you have an air lock the increase speed may move it along.
Also don't think because the radiators have been bled that is 'job done'.
Any air in pipes gets moved along and gathers in the radiators so you may find air in them even though they were bled earlier.
I would suggest you get a good understanding of your type of system and make use of the 'search' on this forum.
Many readers have similar problems and a fair amount of advice has been given.

I searched the forum and didn't find anything that I didn't try before I posted. I'm also trying to find out how the system works but as a novice with very little time on her hands it does help if I can get advice from other people, hence posting here. If it's beneath you to offer help then don't bother posting.

Oh yeah I didn't say if there was a diverter valve because I don't have the foggiest what one looks like.

And yes I am blonde as well as dumb!!!

No need to get stroppy! The advice was offered in good faith.
I didn't realize you were a dumb blonde! I would have made allowances and not responded.I'm not a miricle worker. There's no point in telling you what to do regarding the diverter valve if have not got one. Yesterday you didn't have a pump!
I'll give my time to help those who appreciate it.

Yesterday I couldn't find the pump not didn't have one!

I didn't say if there was a diverter valve as I have no idea what one is.

I wasn't getting stroppy but I felt as though you were being incredibly patronising telling me to get to know the system. You also insinuated that I hadn't searched for help on the forum which I had

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back